DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just found this site searching around for info about an issue I have with drainage on the property. There is a cottage in the back with a dry well behind it for the purpose of draining water away from the cottage, 30' behind the cottage is the back of the lot. I am planning on building a steel building as a studio behind the cottage and on top of the dry well. The building will be on a steel foundation with a min crawl space of 4" and optionally higher. The dry well is empty with plywood covering it right now, I think they are usually filled with stones and covered. If I put the new building over the top of the dry well would I still be able to modify and finish the dry well properly? How much room should I leave for crawlspace?

I appreciate any input on the subject

Thank you

·
Hammered Thumb
3,673 Posts
If I put the new building over the top of the dry well would I still be able to modify and finish the dry well properly? How much room should I leave for crawlspace?
Does the drywell ever receive water? It must have at some point, so has something changed if it is now obsolete? What do you mean by "modify and finish" - fill and abandon, or make it accessible within the crawlspace?

I don't know how big or deep it is, it could be either complicated (at the low spot taking advantage of some sand veins or part of a field drain) or simple (a barrel). And have to ask, it's not an old well that has been partially filled, meaning you can see some drainage pipes entering it?

The crawl space depends on frost depth and what you want or what's down there. Around here typical is "5 block high."

·
retired framer
51,146 Posts
Your new building will need it's own water drain system and you do everything you can to keep water out so the last thing you want is a dry well under a structure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts