DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings;

I put this in Drywall/plaster for the 'refinishing' aspect. I have a manu home ('90s) with popcorn ceilings. I don't want to remove all of the popcorn as I hate a perfectly smooth ceiling. So - I started dry scraping the popcorn . But - the material that is left for some texture is very very soft and likely highly absorbent (?). I am wondering if I will be able to paint over this or if the remaining 'popcorn' will absorb too much moisture and soak into whatever the ceiling is made of. Any recommendations for painting? Or if I 'should' dry scrape the popcorn? Remember this is a manu home - not stick

Thanks in advance

Kelly

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greetings Mark Sr - thanks for the reply - the stuff is definitely Not 'plastic' - it's actually rather chalky once you scrape part of it off. I'm thinking this is a bad idea.

Kelly

·
retired painter
10,013 Posts
Generally if you mist the texture with water it will partially dissolve where it can easily [but messy] scrape off. I normally use a pump up garden sprayer to coat the texture with water.

MHs usually use 1/4" drywall on the walls but I don't know what they use on the ceilings. Long time ago they used 1/2" cellotex on the ceilings but they quit using that when they went to a pitched roof.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts