DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we just bought our first house and did so in the dry season. Now that we are having an incredibly wet winter there is a huge problem.
We have whatg I can only describe as a swale that includes the driveway. So anytime we have a good rain the yard floods and covers a good portion of the driveway(25ft of length, the entire width).

My house site above the grade of the road but the yard slopes down below the road, creating the swale.

How can I build up the driveway, without it washing out? A culvert isn't an option as it would just send the water to my neighbors driveway.

I thought about building a brick retention wall then back-filling the driveway to be above the swale. If i do this, can i use all fill dirt? Or, do i need to layer with rocks, gravel and sand prior placing the fill dirt???

·
Registered
37,225 Posts
Where all working blind without some picture's.

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,788 Posts
Ayuh,... Pictures are a Must,...

Just raisin' the driveway will cause 2 pools on yer lawn,...

Ya gotta figure out where the waters comin' from, 'n where it wants to go too,...
Then figure out how to divert it,...

·
Registered
403 Posts
A picture or two would help. What State are you in ? How about an interceptor drain to take the water to the street...and not near your neighbor ? Is your driveway 25' long by 12' wide ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts