DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my driverway has seen better days, it's asphalt that has sunk where we park the cars. I need to replace but not sure I'm interested in another asphalt one as I see it doing the same thing down the road again.

I work on my cars so would like the new surface to uphold jacking my cars/SUV up on it.

We perfer the look of pavers with stamped concrete a close second.

What would you all use and which one will remain level longer?

·
Registered
287 Posts
had asphalt and ran into the same issues as you, plus cracking.....changed to plain concrete, nothing fancy and never looked back! If you work in your driveway, stamped concrete may not be the best choice.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,460 Posts
6X6 timbers, 14 feet long, interwoven in a running bond pattern, to approximately 35 feet long.

But seriously a poured concrete reinforced slab is very durable.

And if you get it at least 6 inches thick it will support even a moving truck when it is time to go.

ED

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mine is 5 inches thick with fiber. Even though i didn't have to with fiber, I've also used wire-mesh. One shot deal and didn't want to cheap out or be sorry down the road.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
fiber AND mesh ? wow ! why ? my d/w in nj's only 4 1/2" thick & has neither - no crks after 20yrs :no: but it does have a properly installed joint pattern :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
either would satisfy your needs/wishes IF properly installed & maintained,,, more likely stamp'd conc will be less expensive too

·
Registered
287 Posts
fiber AND mesh ? wow ! why ? my d/w in nj's only 4 1/2" thick & has neither - no crks after 20yrs :no: but it does have a properly installed joint pattern :thumbsup:
yes, both.....i much rather overkill then just meet minimum....my trusses are 2x6, even though code called for 2x4s. thats how i work....:yes:

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
we all agrees code's minimum,,, points to make: 1, fiber was 1st touted as the best crack preventative measure since sliced bread,,, by now most agree the major benefit goes to the owner of the fiber plant :laughing:; 2, welded wire mesh serves only 2 purposes: a, it adds strength to the plastic conc as it transitions into a solid & endures the forces of tension,,, however, to be effective, it MUST be placed @ vertical ctr of the slab +/- 5%,,, VERY UNLIKELY the end result after conc jabonies finish tramping thru mud while raking/screeding :no: b, 2nd benefit's wire mesh makes tearing out a d/w harder than hell :furious: a well-constructed compacted granular base is probably the most important part of a lasting d/w,,, joint pattern would be 2nd followed by conc mix design & drainage

both fiber & mesh have their uses which designer/specifiers can easily justify ( $ / value / longevity ) however a d/w ain't 1 i'd think would qualify,,, 2x6 trusses on 24" ctr makes sense to me IF you use 5/8" ply for roof sheathing,,, 16" centers would be a waste of $$ for any minimal gained benefit

but i started w/hgwy & airport paving then dropped back to driveways, etc,,, learning curves are much different when you start @ the top of the curve & have had the opportunity to work w/men ( contractors/engineers/designers/inspectors/foremen/laborers ) who were all willing to pass on their knowledge & experience,,, i am always grateful to those men & honor their memory by passing on their wisdom to those who follow - such as it is,,, as ike always was fond of saying, ' can't see it from my house ! ' :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts