DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driveway is flat but my property on the side by my neighbor slopes downward. I would like to build a retaining wall and expand my driveway. I would like a concrete retaining wall. Do I need footers? Can the slab for the driveway addition and the retaining wall be a monolithic pour with rebar holding it all together?

How would I handle the drainage? Is it likely that that water could travel under the slab from the other side of the driveway and get trapped behind the wall? I live in rainy Washington State:boat: :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody have any info on building retaining walls next to driveways? Is this even possible? I don't see to many pictures or examples of this which makes me wonder if it's a wise idea.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
its easy enough to do & can be a wise project which will add value to your property,,, diy projects like this aren't difficult & just require some common sense + a little technical knowledge ( like knowing water runs downhill :laughing: ),,, your contractor should know all that's needed incl whether or not you need a permit

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Talk to my neighbor about retaining walls. He is on his third Although this one looks like it is holding up. How tall a wall do you envision building? Anything over a couple of feet requires some engineering to be safe and withstand time.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
It is certainly possible to build a reinforced concrete retaining wall. The design depends on the height and the type of soil to be retained. In most jurisdictions, there is a certain height that triggers the need for professional design, in my town it is four feet. A concrete retaining wall will require a footer, reinforcing steel, and drainage. You could tie it into your driveway slab, but that is not commonly done, and is normally not necessary. Your designer should understand the options and discuss them with you during the design process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for your answers and help! :)
The wall is about 3 1/2 Ft tall. My concern is the contractor that is doing the job and that's why I'm asking here. He says a footer is not necessary because he is using rebar to tie the wall to the slab. I've never heard of not using a footer! :eek: When I asked what kind of drainage he was putting in, he also said that wasn't necessary because water wouldn't travel from one side of the slab clear to the other where the wall is and even if it did the water would travel under the wall because the base off the wall is being built on 3/4" gravel. After I insisted, he did agree to put weep holes in. The soil under the old driveway is clay with about a foot of fill dirt on top, but the contractor is stacking large chunks of our old driveway slab to fill in behind the new retaining wall. The stacked concrete is being used as the inside form for the new wall (Hope that makes sense!) From what I read on the internet none of this seems conventional-Hmmm

Trying to get this wall right the 1st time and not have to do the 3rd times a charm thing!

·
Registered
154 Posts
The wall is about 3 1/2 Ft tall. My concern is the contractor that is doing the job and that's why I'm asking here. He says a footer is not necessary because he is using rebar to tie the wall to the slab. I've never heard of not using a footer! :eek: When I asked what kind of drainage he was putting in, he also said that wasn't necessary because water wouldn't travel from one side of the slab clear to the other where the wall is and even if it did the water would travel under the wall because the base off the wall is being built on 3/4" gravel. After I insisted, he did agree to put weep holes in. The soil under the old driveway is clay with about a foot of fill dirt on top, but the contractor is stacking large chunks of our old driveway slab to fill in behind the new retaining wall. The stacked concrete is being used as the inside form for the new wall (Hope that makes sense!) From what I read on the internet none of this seems conventional-Hmmm

Trying to get this wall right the 1st time and not have to do the 3rd times a charm thing!
Any pics to give us an idea?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts

Sounds like it is time to find another contractor!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts