DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12-year old asphalt driveway has many cracks (see the attached files).
I tried to repair it last year by putting some crack filler material in the cracks.
How to repair it this year?
Is it beyond repair?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
How to find out if the base is stable?
The asphalt looks flat. No ruts that result from cars sitting on the surface. No curling at the edges.
How often did you seal it?
Call in a few contractors and get their take on the situation.

Reactions: albertkao

·
Registered
471 Posts
From the pics my son that's in the seal coating business said it looks like a

build up of sealer from driveways that are coated every year.

Driveways are coated every 2 years or more around here anyways.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the pics my son that's in the seal coating business said it looks like a

build up of sealer from driveways that are coated every year.

Driveways are coated every 2 years or more around here anyways.
How to repair it now?
Do I first fill the cracks with crack filler?
After at least one day, then I put on the driveway sealer in one direction.
After at least one day, then I put on the second layer of driveway sealer in a perpendicular direction so as to cover all the cracks.
I live in Ontario, Canada. Our winter has a lot of snow.
I put on the driveway sealer about every 2 years.
Is that a reasonable frequency?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
How to repair it now?
Do I first fill the cracks with crack filler?
After at least one day, then I put on the driveway sealer in one direction.
After at least one day, then I put on the second layer of driveway sealer in a perpendicular direction so as to cover all the cracks.
I live in Ontario, Canada. Our winter has a lot of snow.
I put on the driveway sealer about every 2 years.
Is that a reasonable frequency?
The application brushes have a screed on one side. You brush on the sealer, then screed off the excess.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My son said he has never heard of someone using a scarifier to fix that issue (not saying it couldnt be done that way) but usually at that point a new drive is installed. He suggested contacting some local to your area to see what they suggest doing. Also he said that you can have someone come and sealcoat your driveway for about the same if not cheaper then the materials cost to buy to do it yourself (his company charges ~$.10/sqft for residential).

His company has a big tanker truck (500 gallon) that has the sealer mix (which has latex and sand in it) then they pump it on to the driveway and spread it out (from nearest to the house to the street) with a 3ft wide broom. He said they dont use a squeegee after brooming it on.

I just had my 4600sqft drive done by his company and it took their 3 man crew 30 minutes to weed eat all the edges, blow the driveway and apply the sealer. After that I will never do it myself again!

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
My son said he has never heard of someone using a scarifier to fix that issue (not saying it couldnt be done that way) but usually at that point a new drive is installed.
I don't see how removing a build up of sealer would equate to having a new driveway put in.

·
JOATMON
15,477 Posts
Repairing a concrete driveway crack that is dormant, meaning the crack doesn't move up or down, can be done with a concrete driveway crack repair product. Measure the size of the crack to determine the best way to repair it. Different materials are used depending on the size.
It's Asphalt.........

But then again....I wouldn't have an asphalt driveway....

So....my contribution would be...rip up the asphalt and put in a real driveway made of concrete......then in 5 years you ask us about the concrete cracks....which will be a lot smaller.....

On a side note.....that actually does not look that bad....has kind of a neat 'patena' look to it.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Repairing a concrete driveway crack that is dormant, meaning the crack doesn't move up or down, can be done with a concrete driveway crack repair product. Measure the size of the crack to determine the best way to repair it. Different materials are used depending on the size.
William, the driveway is asphalt. Try to make your posts relevant to the topic at hand.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Asphalt driveways are the norm in Ontario, concrete the exception. That is Ontario Canada, not Ontario California.

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,814 Posts
Asphalt driveways are the norm in Ontario, concrete the exception. That is Ontario Canada, not Ontario California.
Ayuh,.... Same on this side of the creek,...
Asphalt gives with the changes in weather,..
Concrete heaves, cracks, 'n breaks up...

The driveway in this thread needs an overlay, or replacement...
It's already been Waayyy over sealcoated...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts