DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I think gardening is the place to post this. I have a long driveway that has cracking here and there along the entire length. We purchased the house in November, and it's survived a winter in Conifer, CO at an elevation of almost 10,000 ft. The previous owner said he had it resurfaced - it was unclear, but I believe it was within the last 1 1/2 years. I see darker areas where some patch was put onto cracks, but all that seems to be opening up again. As an FYI, we run a truck with a plow attachment on the driveway during the winter.

I've posted photos of some of the various cracks, including one that has been taken over by ants. One of the photos is of the edge, which seems to be breaking apart.

My question is - do I need to have the entire driveway resurfaced, or can I fill in the cracks and patch those. And, if you would be so kind as to recommend the best practice for doing either job that you recommend.

Thanks in advance!
Gayle
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Gayle, It looks like they attempted some sort of asphalt patch over the surface of the concrete to seal the cracks. And that one picture seems to show cracks going in all directions. Not a particularly good sign.

Can you dig down and see how thick the slab itself is?

Anyhow, you can try more asphalt type repair material I guess but you need to source the cracks so you know how big a dragon your are hunting.

You can also inject an expoxy crack filler for the purpose. Here is one company that has such things:

www.abatron.com

·
NACE Coating Inspector
524 Posts
before you attempt to inject anything into the cracks you will need to blow out as much of the dirt as you can with high pressure air. i wouldnt use water or a pressure washer which could undermine your base and make the problems worse. fill the cracks and seal coat everything to add another layer of protection to the entire surface

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
It looks like a lot of "deferred maintenace" and not much about the rest of the driveway, but those are typical signs of negligence that allows things to happen.

Dick

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey Gayle,

First I would use a weed killer on all the weeds growing through the cracks in the drive way. Then use an ant killer spray on the ants. After That sweep up and clean the larger cracks and fill them with an asphalt crack filler. It usually comes in a caulk tube or squeeze tube. The smaller cracks can be left alone.

Let the crack filler dry for a day and apply a driveway sealer. There are lots of different kinds of driveway sealers and they are usually rated by how long they last. Use only a 10 year or higher because these are designed to fill small cracks and will work the best on your driveway. Applying the drive way sealer is super easy. You just use a squeegee and spread it around.

This will be the best solution. -Gregg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you everyone!

All such great analysis. I was thinking all that was what I needed to do, but just wanted to confirm with folks in the know. I can't really tell what the depth is of the driveway. The sides have at least 6-8 inches, but I'm thinking that the sides might be built up more.

Would an air compressor work to clear out the cracks, or do I need to hit them with a metal brush? Might just use the metal brush anyway, because I don't think my compressor hose is long enough. The drive goes down about 250'.

And, is there a product that people recommend to do the sealing? Is it feasible for one-two people to do 250' of drive plus another 50' in front of the garage?

Thanks again, sooooo appreciated!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Cracking along the edge of the drive is likely due to no/little base material there and without it, the finish layer will not last and will crack continually. You can get some additional years out of it by pouring in the crack filler but eventually it will crumble back to where it is over a more stable base material.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts