DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to replace the drive belt on a Husqvarna 55R21HVL stand behind self/propelled mower (rear-wheel drive). I have attached photos. I can't get the debris shield over the blade adapter. Husqvarna was not much help other than they told me that the blade adapter came off the crankshaft? The pulley that I have to get the belt around is under the debris shield.
My question is does the blade adapter come off the crankshaft and if so how do I get it off? I know this is simple when you know how, but I don't know how to do it and don't want to ruin the machine.
Amelia

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the information. Do you have any idea how to get the blade adaptor off the crankshaft? Is there a tool for that I wonder?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Just a guess. The bolt that holds the blade on the adapter probably holds the adapter onto the end of the crankshaft. It probably needs some persuasion to get it off. There's likely a bolt covered in grass that holds the debris shield on.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Combining what I have seen on other machines with what I can see on parts lists for ones similar to yours I agree with djlanddkpl that nothing more than the bolt that holds the blade also holds the adapter. Like they said, it's going to be snug, so may take some persuasion, and will be keyed to the crankshaft so won't turn separate of that, but should come straight off. You probably found it already, but it looks like there is only one bolt holding the guard in place.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks a lot for the information. Do you have any idea how to get the blade adaptor off the crankshaft? Is there a tool for that I wonder?
You are welcome, before trying to remove or putting blade back on, disconnect the spark plug wire. Also turn mower over on the opposite side from the carburetor. You may need some WD-40 or the like to get blade adapter off.

Roger

·
Usually Confused
7,346 Posts
I don't know if all Huskys are the same but this clip says there is a key. If your adaptor is stubborn, a cheap puller from an auto store would be better than bashing on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know if all Huskys are the same but this clip says there is a key. If your adaptor is stubborn, a cheap puller from an auto store would be better than bashing on it.

Perfect video. Now I can see it. Thanks for your help for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts