DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this vehicle used and I just noticed I have a drip underneath. It looks like a "typical" AC condensation drip, but I was not running the AC. It is coming from the top of the silver box in the first picture, or at least it's hitting that and then running down. It's clear and felt a little oily, but not enough that I thought it was anything other than water. It didn't have a smell either, so I guess it's just condensation of some sort. I just bought the van Wednesday, so of course I'm freaking out. :) Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Check all levels. Put cardboard under car. Start it with the AC off. Wait 15 minutes and look at cardboard. How big is spot? Is there more than one spot? Look for wetness under car. Report back.

Is that the tranny pan in the picture?. It may be something above it that is leaking and it is flowing down off the pan. If it isn't red and slick it isn't tranny fluid. Maybe put a small bowl on the cardboard to try and get a sample. How many miles are on the Transit? Do you have service records?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not very oily at all on 2nd inspection. It had quit dripping and I just went to eat with my son. It was dripping when I got back and I checked it again. Probably not oily. It's also cold. If it was coolant, would it be hot after the van running? I'll try the cardboard trick Senior....

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Agree with the cardboard test, but a couple of other options are that you used the defrost, which means the air conditioning was running even though you didn't specifically have it on or it may be the cowl drain is in that same vicinity.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Some of the V6 engines have water pumps that fail prematurely. If that is it, don’t use a rebuilt. Get a new Ford pump and it will be a revised design.

Reactions: Windows on Wash

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
Get a good wipe on your left index finder and give it a good whiff. Then open your brake master cylinder and get a good dip on your right index finder. Give that a good whiff. If they smell the same, you have your culprit. If not, move to (cold) coolant tank, oil dispstick, AT dipstick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I did the cardboard test..... I got it out of my shed and it was dry, but it's been so rainy and humid here, it still felt damp. Anyway, the spot was about the size of an orange and the cardboard didn't want to burn very well, but it did and it went out at the wet spot. So maybe that's good.

My mileage is almost 113,000 and no service records other than what Carfax reports. Supposedly this is a one owner just off a commercial lease, so I'm hoping they had it serviced regular. I may have had the defrost on because the weather has been pretty muggy and unseasonably warm, so I probably had that on. If we get a break in this rain, I'll get out there and try all this other stuff. I appreciate everyone's input!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for just now reporting back..... I checked the coolant and its level was good as was the brake fluid so if I'm losing anything it's not a gushing leak. I don't think the drip smelled like the brake fluid, but like we used to kid my Pop about, "My nose was shot off in the war." With all the sinus problems I've had over the years, unless it's something SCREAMING in my nose like acetone or PVC cement, I can't hardly smell anything. After our rain let up, strangely, I haven't seen any more dripping underneath. However, one of my storage cubbyholes had some water in it. I thought that was weird. Got to looking and found a tiny bit of water in a couple places as well as a bit of water running down the side slide door where the vent window is. AHHHHH...... I saw on a Transit forum somewhere where a guy was getting a leak through some vent somewhere or his firewall or something. There's a vent tube under the hood that gets clogged up and you have to squeeze it and clean it out. I did that.... there was a little trash in there, but didn't look like it was stopped up. Right on my driver door where the weatherstripping is, there's a top piece that goes UNDERNEATH a bottom piece.... who came up with THAT? LOL Anyway, I think my problem with the dripping underneath is water running in somewhere and then dripping off something underneath. When I first got the van we had a HELLUVA rain storm and I think I got some water in there somewhere. We've had some rain since that was "normal" and I have not noticed the dripping underneath. I'm going to do some further eyeballing and possible weatherstripping adjustments along with some more research as I've seen where apparently some of the Transits have some leaking problems. Thank y'all for all the input and if I find out anything further, I'll report back. Other than that, I'm really enjoying the van. It's got its pros and cons like all vehicles, but it's been a very grateful upgrade over my old Silverado. :)

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Put the cardboard under again but this time have some white paper towel on top. Better to judge the color which can help determine what fluid you are dealing with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.