DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two story split-level house. The downspout from the second story dumps onto the roof of into the lower level.

When it's raining, no problems. When it stops or turns to drizzle or mist, residual water from the second story constantly drips onto the first story roof and into the first story gutter. The problem is that the dripping every 5 or 10 seconds is VERY LOUD as the drops bounce off the aluminum gutter below. It's loud enough to wake me up at night. :(

Any ideas for a solution?
Property Building Window Wood Rectangle

·
Wanna Be
291 Posts
THe picture looks like the downspout is over the lower gutter but your description makes me think the downspot elbow drips onto the shingles and then off the shingles into the gutter. Id put a rock in the gutter...or part of a brick so the drip hits the rock first. Not so big it blocks the gutter. Maybe a short stainless steel dog chain stuffed under the shingles where it drips, water runs down the chain noiselessly and runs into gutter. Maybe some shade cloth mesh/screen material attached over the gutter to act as an aerator. Or use some roofing cement patch to attach screen material directly to the shingle and let it hang down into the gutter. Water runs over the screen into the gutter. Those types of noises annoy me too.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I believe this indicates the top gutter doesn’t have enough angles or fall to efficiently drain the gutter, and/or there is debris keeping it from draining.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,628 Posts
Drop a piece of fishing line from the upper gutter into the lower one with a small rock at the bottom holding the string - the drips will follow the line and land gently on the rock - common problem.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Spray some of the “As seen on tv” Flex Seal stuff in the gutter to cushion the drops.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,628 Posts
Spray some of the “As seen on tv” Flex Seal stuff in the gutter to cushion the drops.
Might as well just wad up a bunch of dollar bills and put them there... C'mon, Flex $teal? Really?

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Might as well just wad up a bunch of dollar bills and put them there... C'mon, Flex $teal? Really?
Why not? It is not sealing anything, it is only providing a cushion and dampening. I wouldn’t go boating in a Flex Seal boat, but as a pad to absorb impact and take the tinniness out of the gutter it should work.

Reactions: ZZZZZ and PatChap

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why not? It is not sealing anything, it is only providing a cushion and dampening. I wouldn’t go boating in a Flex Seal boat, but as a pad to absorb impact and take the tinniness out of the gutter it should work.
Actually I've got a quart can of the stuff (not the spray) that I got at a yard sale for $3.00 last year. I'll give it a try over the weekend. Can't hurt.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,628 Posts
As you can tell, I consider it pretty much worthless... I've seen "roofers" use it to seal leaks around vents, take the money and run; people use it on RV/Campers to stop leaks (until they drive a mile), etc. Nice idea... even bought a can once myself that's why I wouldn't recommend it for much or anything.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
As you can tell, I consider it pretty much worthless... I've seen "roofers" use it to seal leaks around vents, take the money and run; people use it on RV/Campers to stop leaks (until they drive a mile), etc. Nice idea... even bought a can once myself that's why I wouldn't recommend it for much or anything.
I agree, I would not use it to seal leaks. But as a sound deadening pad, it might work. Rubberized undercoating for a car might work, too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts