DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your input on holes that were drilled by a plumber when my home was built. I have 2 x10 joist. The holes are 2 1/2" for a 2" drain pipe. I always thought you had to stay 2" from the top and bottom so as not to compromise the integrity of the joist. It bothered me that he could have just went through 1 to enter into the cabinet but he drilled through 2 separate joist. I have granite countertops on the cabinets above. How concerned should I be and is this a code violation? Thanks for your input and thought on this.

·
retired framer
59,756 Posts
Distance between supporting walls down stairs?
How close to the top or bottom is he?
How close to the end of the joist?[/SIZE]

Hey Neal, I beam to I beam is 14'
1 1/2" top of hole to top of joist.
2' from the end of the joist

Thanks for your input and help Neal....Big Cat
Yeah, wouldn't have taken much effort to get it right.
They say 2" but I would think there is some safety built into that.

I would be more worried if it was the bottom under tension.

As the top is under compression when you walk on it, it is hard to imagine how it would fail or what you would to to make it stronger. I guess you could glue and screw a 2x2 on the side of them.

We are not allowed to notch them but there are still pictures of what was acceptable. and if you believe that you would be fine.

·
retired framer
59,756 Posts
YEA....Plumbers are notorious for that.....especially if not production built.
We got tired of plumbers hacking up joists and we would supply them with offset toilet flanges. It gets lame when the same guy tells you he had never heard of them for 3 houses in a row.:vs_mad:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes, 1/2" too close to top chord is not too big a concern, like the others said. To correct for the closeness to the top chord, you could attach a length of 2x2, like Neal said. Use carpenter's glue (aliphatic resin, like Titebond) instead of construction adhesive, and screw it every 3" o.c.
I attached a graphic showing the Code restrictions for holes in joists.

Attachments

Reactions: Big Cat

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied. Again my biggest concern is I have 1 1/4" granite on the cabinets above in the kitchen. I took pictures of the drain area also before it got covered along with measurements in case it caused problems later. I have to remove the finished sheet rock under the sink and drain area I had put in 2 years ago. The builder claimed those holes weren't going to hurt anything back when the home was built in 2015. Fast forward 4 1/2 years later, my concerns under my sink were't the biggest problem. After I had an issue with a blockage in the line. I finally drilled holes in my ceiling only to find the plumber had only gave me 1 1/2" of sloop over 15+ feet. So if the sheet rock has to come down then I want to address the joist. The builder said hes never had any problems with plumbing done his plumber. I said I hope all his other drains are less then 6' long.

Thanks again, Big Cat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.