DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,810 Posts
Those are some interesting pictures, LawrenceS. It does support the transfer of pad material to the rotors.

I'm still trying to figure out how warped rotors supposedly cause the brake pedal to pulse. Warped rotors would still be the same thickness everywhere. The entire caliper would potentially move, sliding on the pins, but the piston wouldn't move.
I believe the pistons do move....when brake rotors warp you feel it in the brake pedal and steering wheel. The calipers take some of it but so do the pistons....to much going on there to not.

To answer earlier posts, when you turn discs and the meat of the rotor is off getting disc that have different thicknesses around the disc, it's bad casting. I see that with cheap foreign made rotors. Quality control issues for sure.

· Registered
2,810 Posts
I had two brake lathes when I was in my twenty's. One for drums and one for discs.....quick way brand.

When turning discs I would clean up scoring or the run out which I believe is a warped rotor. The cutting head would sometimes be way past the disc edge so in my opinion it can't just be brake pad absorption.

Once trude up, I would no longer have pulsation in the brake pedal.

Also, watching slow mo videos of breaks in auto shop I can assure you the brakes get way hotter than 400 degrees.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts