DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Drilled and slotted brake rotors better than solid?

3579 80
I've been looking for brake pads and rotors for a friend, and I see O.E. rotors, and the supposedly "upgrade" ones that have drilled holes and/or slots for only a few bucks more. Are the drilled or slotted rotors really any better?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
282 Posts
slotted or holes help dissipate the heat quicker
Actually they don't, you have removed mass from the rotor with the holes/slots. It's the mass of the rotor that helps absorb and dissipate the generated heat.

Unless your driving a Nascar you will not see any benefit from those openings, they may look cool, but they are of no benefit!

· Registered
282 Posts
99 times out of 100 the reason for warped rotors is heat
I'm guessing 9 years as an OEM brake engineer doesn't count for much compared with all the "experience" posted here but you simply can't get rotors hot enough, with normal usage, to metallurgically cause them to warp. But we really didn't bother testing the really cheap crap so I cant disagree with all the experts here!

· Registered
282 Posts
So if you want more to argue about discuss the difference, benefits, issues between metallic and what we'll call Nao type pads, those being the run of the mill pads that 99.9% of cars use. Lets see how many false/inaccurate/I've done it that way for 30 years comments that brings up.

I'm really amazed at all the false, misleading, ignorant posts here about rotors despite some accurate posts that get dismissed. And, just because something happened one time does not make it reality.

· Registered
282 Posts
It's not the metal, you can not "warp" rotors.

Nominal brake temps are around 400F, the forging temp of carbon steel (as an example) is 1200F so it's physically impossible to input sufficient heat via braking to cause the metal to dewform.

It's all in the minute layers of pad materials that coat the rotors, it's called PULSATION!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts