DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a clamping device, made to go with a drill press, that we can use to bore round stock with?

I want to use a drill press to drill 1.2" pipe a little bigger in the ends to add a 5/8 bushing in there to use to be my limiting rod for an inversion table.

I have acquired all the materials I need to "build", my device to use as a limiter rod, but the bushing is just a tad too large to slip into the 1/2" pipe nipple without warping the bushing.

I remember 50 years ago in shop class they had a clamping device to clamp round stock vertical, to use the drill press as a boring tool.

And I decided to use the collective brain to see if there are still such clamps available.

ED

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I have a vee block that I can lay on it's side, but, as I'm sure you know, even the least expensive of clamping devices are not inexpensive, at least not for a one time or even just infrequent use. Assuming though that you have any type of vise on your press it should be fairly easy to jig up a short piece of angle iron on end to clamp it. That's probably what I would try first, but, if not that, I'd probably check what HF or Production Tool had. Like I said, wouldn't necessarily have to be for vertical use if you could see a way to lay it on its' side, even if you had to shim it here or there. As far as squaring it up, I use the Wixey angle gauge that I initially bought for setting the table saw, but sometimes it seems to spend as much time at the drill press. Or, if you have an older low speed high torque drill motor who knows, you might get as close as you need by free handing it in your bench vise. Stop by and we'll throw it on the metal lathe then have a beer, but Wyoming is a pretty good drive from Michigan just for a couple of holes and a couple of beers.

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Sometimes on smaller rounds i use my flare tool for clamping vertical and clamp the flare clamp to the table. Other times i may just use the hand screw clamps. I suppose the same could be done by boring a hole in wood or plywood then ripping it in half to be used as a clamp in a vise or clamping it with clamps etc.

Attachments

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,204 Posts
Anyone know of a clamping device, made to go with a drill press, that we can use to bore round stock with?

I want to use a drill press to drill 1.2" pipe a little bigger in the ends to add a 5/8 bushing in there to use to be my limiting rod for an inversion table.

I have acquired all the materials I need to "build", my device to use as a limiter rod, but the bushing is just a tad too large to slip into the 1/2" pipe nipple without warping the bushing.

I remember 50 years ago in shop class they had a clamping device to clamp round stock vertical, to use the drill press as a boring tool.

And I decided to use the collective brain to see if there are still such clamps available.

ED
Ayuh,.... I'd grab my die-grinder, a 3/8" bit, 'n bevel 'em out, by hand,....

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, a pair of 2X4x6, 8" carriage bolts, nuts.

A little cutting with my pull saw, to make matching V, drill holes through the 2Xs, insert bolts, insert the pipe, tighten the nuts, and clamp the pipe vertical, to look like an umbrella.

Then clamp the assembly aligned perpendicular, and drill 5/8" X 3/4" deep to fit the bushings .

Should work great.

Yeah, I thought that commercial made drill vice might be expensive.

ED

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
I hope you're a lot better than i am with a pull saw. I'd be ashamed to show and tell anyone what angle the pipe stood up after i cut v notches.

That did come to mind and that's why i opted for boring a hole in a 2x4 using the drill press and ripping the hole in half.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope you're a lot better than i am with a pull saw. I'd be ashamed to show and tell anyone what angle the pipe stood up after i cut v notches.

That did come to mind and that's why i opted for boring a hole in a 2x4 using the drill press and ripping the hole in half.
Having only one functioning eye, comes in handy sometimes.

You only see straight lines, and the old hand following the eye thing makes for great cuts with a pull saw.

Besides being in practice helps too, You don't use it, it gets "rusty".:wink2:

ED

·
Registered
5,151 Posts

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm like huesman. I think I understand but am not sure.

Would a larger step bit do the reaming?

Do you have a regular drill press vice? https://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-jaw-capacity-drill-press-vise-30999.html

Will your table go low enough to stand the pipe vertically
You and @huesmann are correct, I need to enlarge the opening a tiny bit, 3/4" deep.

In 23" long nipple.

Have no press clamp, I found the same thing as your link on e-bay, but don't want to wait a week for it to arrive.

And I would have to add wood blocking in the jaw to better hold the pipe anyway.

THANK YOU to all responders.

Ya'll are appreciated.

ED

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe 2 scraps of angle iron with the image below for inspiration.

Not that it matters but is the pipe the 1.2 or 1/2" as you said both in your post.

https://www.trick-tools.com/Drill_R...MIt6fpm9yQ6gIVDb7ACh1NHAMMEAQYBSABEgLekvD_BwE
The 1.2 was an error that I missed correcting until too late.

That link is good for a lot of things, but it won't work for this use.

Neal's suggestion inspired my thought process, and I have got a plan to try now.

I will return with the outcome.

ED

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
If you can find a grinder bit in the diameter you want, you could use a unibit to get the end of the pipe hogged out to your required diameter, then continue the hogging with the grinder bit to whatever depth you need. The unibit can only get you started, because the steps are pretty short. (Unless the height of the step is all the depth you need.)

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
If you can find a grinder bit in the diameter you want, you could use a unibit to get the end of the pipe hogged out to your required diameter, then continue the hogging with the grinder bit to whatever depth you need. The unibit can only get you started, because the steps are pretty short. (Unless the height of the step is all the depth you need.)
It needs to be precision straight and not REAMED out sloppy.

My life is hanging on this thing, and I want it as precise and secure as I can get it.

I could just hold the pipe in a vise, and use my 1/2 " drive electric hand drill, to use the 5/8" bit in, but straight drilling ain't one of my finer skills.

ED

·
In a little over my head
1,551 Posts
Any resolution yet?
Get a twin screw woodworkers clamp. Close it tight. Drill a hole a little smaller than your pipe, half in one jaw, half in the other. Open, clamp your pipe, Set on your drill press table, with pipe vertical. Clamp. Drill.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Any resolution yet?
Get a twin screw woodworkers clamp. Close it tight. Drill a hole a little smaller than your pipe, half in one jaw, half in the other. Open, clamp your pipe, Set on your drill press table, with pipe vertical. Clamp. Drill.
I got my stuff together to build the 2X4 clamp that was discussed earlier, went to where I was offered use of their drill press.

Turned out they have a full sized drill press, that is only a bench model, so my 23" pipe is too long as is to drill on it, so I developed another plan using 2 short nipples, and one long one in the center, all coupled together with forged couplers, but all the BOX stores do not carry those now.

So I ordered some and they will be delivered in 10 days.

in my post, Are these sold commercially still, is a continuation of this saga.

https://www.diychatroom.com/f7/these-still-available-commercially-693307/

ED

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Turned out they have a full sized drill press, that is only a bench model, so my 23" pipe is too long as is to drill on it
Just in case your plan B material turns into a longer lead time, depending how that bench top press is configured, could you maybe clamp your pipe vertically to the front or end of the bench and scoot the press over enough for the quill to hang that far beyond the edge?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just in case your plan B material turns into a longer lead time, depending how that bench top press is configured, could you maybe clamp your pipe vertically to the front or end of the bench and scoot the press over enough for the quill to hang that far beyond the edge?
Good idea, but not doable here.

Thank you.

ED

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.