DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a free standing 3 sided fireplace screen that sits on the brick in front of our fireplace. It is pretty sturdy and has doors on the front middle part that open. We have a 1 and 1/2 year old running around that likes to pull the doors open and could easily pull the whole thing on top of him if we're not carefully watching him.

We don't use the fireplace currently and I'm not sure if we will. I'd like to secure the screen to the fireplace so our son can't pull it over. Can I drill into the brick right inside the fireplace near the top and bottom sides and then put an eye hook and secure it to the screen? Will this do anything to the integrity of the brick? Or should I drill the hole in the mortar? Also, will this cause issues down the road if we decide to use the fireplace?

I'm open to any other suggestions as well. The main goal is to block off the fireplace from our son.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
You would probably be better off drilling the holes into the mortar. It will be easier to drill and easier to cover over in the future. It shouldn't cause any issues if you decide to use the fireplace later as long as you fill the holes back in before use.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
rad's exactly right :yes: yep, into the mortar,,, that way you can use any 1/4" drill + masonry bit,,, jam in a plastic plug & screw then wire to screen :thumbsup: alternate method - train your son :whistling2:

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I agree with drilling the mortar rather than the brick, but would probably look at the construction first, and see if it is feasible to clamp it. Have seen some screens that come with clamps, think c-clamp, that catch the backside of the brick and have a screw or bolt that clamps it in place. They could be made easy enough, basically bending a piece of bar stock into a U and drilling and tapping one of the legs for a bolt, or you may be able to find one at a fireplace shop or hardware store. Otherwise, anchors into the mortar should work fine.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
If you are not using the fireplace and may not, then why don't you relocate the screen cover to the garage or another safe place for [temp] storage? if and when you decide to use the fireplace, then you can follow some of the recommendations provided here.

As also mentioned, training your son to not even go near this place is mandatory. If and when you do use the fireplace, he will already have a sense that this is not an area to play. If you have fireplace tools nearbyy as well, I would relocate those too.

If and when you do want to secure the screen, find plastic anchors that will fit into the mortar areas, then secure w screw & wire as noted. You can paint the wire the color of the screen if needed.

Good luck & Merry Christmas to all,
tstex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts