DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I’m trying to be a good homeowner and drain my hwt. I connect the hose and it drains some. Open the relief valve and that didn’t help. Opened a faucet and nothing there either. If I turn the water intake back on drains. Thoughts / Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Naildriver
18,490 Posts
You are doing right, but you also have sludge in the bottom of the tank that is clogging up the outlet. Sometimes turning the water back on (faucets closed and T&P valve closed) will force the sludge through the hose. Keep an eye on the other end of the hose to determine if this is happening.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are doing right, but you also have sludge in the bottom of the tank that is clogging up the outlet. Sometimes turning the water back on (faucets closed and T&P valve closed) will force the sludge through the hose. Keep an eye on the other end of the hose to determine if this is happening.
I did this with only hot water faucets open. Should I try with cold too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Naildriver
18,490 Posts
Open only the exit valve on the water heater, at the bottom. No faucets and no T&P. Open and close the exit valve several times. Sometimes crud lodges up against it. The force of incoming water will help pressure clean it hopefully.

·
Usually Confused
9,565 Posts
It sounds like you are trying to flush it, not drain it. If you want to drain it, and actually get to point of water coming out of the drain, make sure you turn off the heat source (gas or electric) so you don't do any damage.

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,827 Posts
The plastic piece of crap on the bottom of the tank is WORTHLESS. What I do is get a brass nipple of the right diameter, 3/4" I think and long enough to put a FULL FLOW Ball valve on it and the hose adaptor.
Close all of the valves and then remove the plastic and install the brass nipple being careful you will only loose 1 or 2 gallons, do not cross thread it.
I only open the T&P on the tank. Valves else where just makes it harder. IMO Drain tank down hill when empty open cold water and flush the tank (fill and drain) until the water runs clear. Usually takes me 3 times. Shut off the valve fill the tank with water bleed hot water faucets in the house until no air, (shower and tubs work great) THEN turn the water heater back on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts