DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed a 10 month home rennovation.....or so I thought. All the plumbing in the house was working fine until I hooked up the washing machine. I live in a one level house with a confined crawl space. My wasteline for my shower, vanity, and washing machine all connect to the ceramic waste line directly under the toilet. Which is right next to the exterior wall of the house. The wasteline then travel under the foundation where I think It has a "ventline" that goes toward the roof, but ends just before it gets there.

Anyways my toilet barely flushes now and any time I do laundry of have 2 or more things going the toilet has a horrible gurgling and bubbling sound! What could be the problem causing this and can it be fixed?
Thanks

·
GC/Master Plumber/Mech
1,517 Posts
Sounds like you have a restriction in the main drain or not enough vent.

If you have done a remodel could some of the debri gone down the drain?

I would have it snaked to start, If it goes to a clay tile drain it could have started to collapse or tree roots

·
KemoSabe
644 Posts
I just completed a 10 month home rennovation.....or so I thought. All the plumbing in the house was working fine until I hooked up the washing machine. I live in a one level house with a confined crawl space. My wasteline for my shower, vanity, and washing machine all connect to the ceramic waste line directly under the toilet. Which is right next to the exterior wall of the house. The wasteline then travel under the foundation where I think It has a "ventline" that goes toward the roof, but ends just before it gets there.

Anyways my toilet barely flushes now and any time I do laundry of have 2 or more things going the toilet has a horrible gurgling and bubbling sound! What could be the problem causing this and can it be fixed?
Thanks
The ventline needs to be behind the water, not in front of it. It's gurgling to exchange air for water. Install an inline vent with a backflow preventer :thumbsup:at the furthest possible point behind the water entering the drainline, it should help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has what I believe to be ceramic tile al the way to the street this house was built in 1890's. I also don't have a S bend or whatever it's called so the smell does come up in the drain line in the laundry room, ...would putting in the bend stop the gurgling throughout the rest of the house?

·
GC/Master Plumber/Mech
1,517 Posts
The ventline needs to be behind the water, not in front of it. It's gurgling to exchange air for water. Install an inline vent with a backflow preventer :thumbsup:at the furthest possible point behind the water entering the drainline, it should help.

What code are you using?

·
GC/Master Plumber/Mech
1,517 Posts
My wasteline for my shower, vanity, and washing machine all connect to the ceramic waste line directly under the toilet. Which is right next to the exterior wall of the house. The wasteline then travel under the foundation where I think It has a "ventline" that goes toward the roof, but ends just before it gets there.

Ok if your shower 2", Washer 2" and vanity 1 1/2" all connect to the main drain and there is a vent that terminates to the outside you should be fine.

When you drain the washer does the water level in the toilet go down?

·
GC/Master Plumber/Mech
1,517 Posts
But do you have a vent venting the sink and shower and washer? and if so what size is it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you were to follow the piping in the house from the furthest point it would be in the laundry room were there isn't a vent or a trap then it continues 20 feet to were the vanity is follow by the shower which both have traps then ties in directly under the toilet to ceramic basin the only vent is after that on the exterior of the house coming out of the ground and is about 12 feet in the air a ttached to the siding.

·
GC/Master Plumber/Mech
1,517 Posts
What size pipe did you use to vent the fixtures?

3" on outside more than likely your common vent for the house

I'm thinking that all this is draining into a 4" clay and needs to a 2" vent might get away with 1 1/2 but I'd go 2"

Total dfu 8

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The washer the shower and the vanity don't .

the washer is the furthest 20 feet or more away then the vanity shower are about 2 feet apart foolowed by the toilet were would be an ideal location to put in a vent so that it wouldn't smell up the underside of my house?

·
GC/Master Plumber/Mech
1,517 Posts
What size pipe did you use to vent the fixtures? (Shower, washer, vanity)

OR what size pipe is used to connect to the vent stack?

The thing that I am hung up on is that every thing was fine until lately.

I still think that you have a restricted drain. You know like when someone should have doubled flushed for that big burrito.

If you have a plunger take it and put it into the toilet and with short strokes push/pull some times these will knock it loose. The plungers with the horn on the end works better than the regular plunger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i had never done laundry at this house before until after I remodeled it so it could have been messed up before and i wouldn't have known but as far as i know nothing is vented and the washing machine doesn't have a trap does the washing machine need a trap and does everything need to be vented or can i just vent the main pipe somewhere in the middle ?
so were do i need to install one at and will it make the underside of my house smell or do I have to tie it into the main vent that is attached to the side of my house?

·
GC/Master Plumber/Mech
1,517 Posts
i had never done laundry at this house before until after I remodeled it so it could have been messed up before and i wouldn't have known but as far as i know nothing is vented and the washing machine doesn't have a trap does the washing machine need a trap and does everything need to be vented or can i just vent the main pipe somewhere in the middle ?
so were do i need to install one at and will it make the underside of my house smell or do I have to tie it into the main vent that is attached to the side of my house?
The washer needs to be trapped and 2" trap and 2" standpipe.

Shower needs to be 2" and also trapped

Vanity can be 1 1/2" and sink need to be trapped.

I find it hard to believe that the fixtures are not vented and the vent may be concealed in the walls. But anything is possible as far as not being vents. It's hard to diag via the internet and at this point I would steer you to contact a local plumber and see if he/she could come by and evaluate your plumbing system.

On this forum every DIY'r here will tell you to just stick an AAV (Air Admittance Valve) every where. Us plumbers will do almost anything not to install on. Why? Because after month to years of gnats, spider webs, dirt/dust and wht ever else gets into the seal of the AAV it can plug open or closed and cause problems.

It may cost a few dollars but at this point I think it would be money well spent for an evaluation of your system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.