DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new machine and attached it to the pipe we have been using for drainage for 15 years with no problems and it will not drain. I understand the new machines will not pump water up and along a level pipe to the outside drain. Is it really no longer possible to get a machine with a pump that can handle basement drains? The delivery person said we could just buy a long pipe and run it to the sump pump. Aside from tripping over the darn pipe - what are the dangers - if any - of doing this and is it something that people with no plumbing training could achieve? Thank you anyone who can recommend a simple doable fix - it is really hard to look at a brand new machine as I load up to head for the laundromat:(

·
Registered
426 Posts
Check where your sump pump goes to. Around here most go to the drainage ditches next to the street and it is illegal to pump the wash water to the ditch. Previous house the sump pump connected to the city storm water system. Was illegal to drain the washing machine into the sump there as well.

·
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
1,903 Posts
how far up does it have to pump? Have you tried to see if the machine will pump when it is not connect to the drain, try pumping it into a 5 gallon bucket. If the height it needs to pump to is not excessive it should drain, you may just have a problem with your machine. Manufactures do not recommend this type of set up so you may need to figure out an alternative solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts