DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a concrete patio slab with brick pavers on top of it. The water drains towards the kitchen area of the patio and creates a big puddle there whenever it rains or I am pressure washing the patio. I have plans to just install a catch basin at around the lowest point and then have that drain out to a dry well. In order to do this I have to break up the concrete underneath of the pavers, and the concrete is fairly thick and reinforced. Would it be ok to just use a jackhammer to break up the part I need? It is about a 10 foot by 3 foot section that I need to break up in the middle of the slab. I dont care about how straight the edge lines are since I would never see them so I am not sure if I would also need to buy a saw or not. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
how do you define ' fairly thick ' ? reinforced w/what ? i'd just use a screwdriver to pry out the 1st paver then pinch bar for the rest of the needed pathway,,, as far as buying a saw, man up ! :eek: real men don' need no steenking reason to buy tools - just do it ! :yes: i have 6 :thumbsup:

actually you can do all you want by renting a sds max chipping gun or bosch brute class breaking gun

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pavers are merely laid on top of the concrete so it is simple to remove them. I am talking about the actual concrete slab that is about 6" (If I had to guess, but it is not thin) and is reinforced with wire mesh. Im only planning on renting and I do not know if just a jackhammer will be enough or if I need to get the concrete saw too, especially because it is in the middle of the slab.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
got it,,, hate wire mesh :furious: for demo - now you'll need bolt cutters + the bosch w/1" chisel bit,,, since you're not worried about straight lines on the cut, brute's fine,,, you SHOULD find mesh about 1/2down but i'll bet it ain't :no:

hint - w/bosch brute breakers, 100' of 20a ext cord's MAX - 20a circuit works better than 15a,,, NOTHING LESS than 15a :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
...I would saw cut what you need to open even though your not going to see it ..why ..brute force can cause undue damage like cracks and if your in an area that freezes it could cause other problems for you pavers..imo

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would rent a Stihl concrete saw with a couple of blades and cut through both sides of your slab then use an electric jack hammer to chunk up the concrete into manageable pieces. Do your plumbing and refill the trench with some crush and run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts