DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- I have a brick fireplace with drywall butted up against the edges of the brick. There is a gap between the brick edge & the drywall in many places (some areas the gap is probably close to 3/4" wide) and there is a serious draft from this gap. What is the best way to insulate this? I've attached pics from different distances so you can see what I'm working with. The up close picture shows where a contractor thought it was a good idea to caulk the big gap with silicone caulk. This caulk will need to be removed as it is not helping in any way....the gap is just too deep for caulk to help. Once the caulk is removed- what is the best way to fill this gap to insulate? I know spray in foam is messy but is this the best option? I don't think this area gets hot- but do I need to have a fireproof insulation here? I'm not worried about aesthetics so much as once the area is insulated I will cover the gap with a piece of trim. Stopping the draft is my primary concern here. One last note...you can see in the up close picture that while the brick surface is even there are gaps where the mortar is so this is an uneven area I need to insulate. Any help would be appreciated. This is my first time posting so I apologize if I've posted anything incorrectly. Thank you. Miriam

031.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

·
Registered
37,184 Posts
If it was mine I'd be opening up the wall and finding out where it's coming from.
If there no insulation behind that wall just sealing the gap is not going to do much. The wall would still be cold.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more comment...This is on a wall that is underground so it is my understanding that insulation is not always used on underground walls. I understand what you are saying Joe but ripping out the drywall is a bigger project than I want to take on for this problem. The wall itself does not feel super cold so I'm more looking for the best way to just seal off the opening to prevent a draft. Thank you.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I can not use spray foam without making a mess although that would be your best option. Next best thing would be stuff fiberglass insulation in there. A putty knife works best. Then you can use caulk , mortar or anything in between to cover insulation.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
This is what backer rod was invented for. It insulates as well as fills the gap. Fiberglass insulation would insulate, but then you'd still need backer rod anyway, and foam backer rod insulates.

Once you've chosen the correct sized backer rod (I'd suggest trying 1/2" first, and if that won't fit then the next smallest size), then fill with a good quality latex or latex/silicone blend caulk (not silicone). Silicone would probably work, but it cannot be painted and looks ugly. I would avoid a polyurethane caulk as well - it's simply not needed. Something like Dynaflex 230 would be fine, or Alex Ultra 230, in the color you want. Use Almond if you're going to paint the caulk yellow like your wall, or perhaps Dark Bronze to try to blend with your brick. If using a darker color to blend with your brick, then first tape the wall side with blue tape to get a clean line there (you will want to tape the brick side too, for that matter.) Another option would be the Aluminum Gray color to somewhat match the grout. If it were me, I'd probably go that direction. It would nicely frame the fireplace, and you avoid painting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts