DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Double rim joist or glulam for rim joist

899 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  3onthetree
I was wondering if any one has ever use either a glulam in a 4×10 or 4×12 configuration for a rim joist and glulams for floor joists. Or What about a double rim joist. I will explain why I was thinking this. First I wanted to build a house to stand for a 100+ years much like a log home. So in thinking of a log home or a timber frame home they all had one thing in common… well two … First they had huge sill logs or sill timbers, and second back in the day they didn’t have indoor plumbing… ( water is the root of all evil in So My thought was this. I could use either a glulam in a 4×10-12 rim joist, glulams in 3×10-12 floor joists ( no bounce or squeak) and have a solid start to a solid foundation. I also thought of running a double engineered rim joist with water repellent properties and standard floor trusses. What are your thoughts, and doing either one would you recommend either a thicker basement wall , thicker than 8x8x16 cinder block walls and a wider 2×8 pressure treated sill plate or something better?
1 - 2 of 8 Posts
So if you have a water leak, it will take longer before it falls down?

Just build a regular house and spend your energy on learning about waterproofing. drain planes, window and door installations. There is much you can learn before you design something different which my cause other problems down the road.
Thanks for the input. I have abandoned my thought and gone back to normal practices.
So let's talk about that, we are a nosy bunch. :biggrin2:
1 - 2 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.