DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I’m doing my basement and I have a few questions. I have insulation in my basement already and I put steel studs over it. I was wondering if I should double insulate the walls with rock wool for sound proofing and also should I do the ceilings?
Do I mount drywall tight to the top of the joists? Or do I frame the ceiling and then put drywall? I seen pictures both ways.
Wood Floor Beam Flooring Building

·
Naildriver
17,766 Posts
Sheetrock on ceiling first, always. Sheetrock on soffit ceiling first as well. Good job on the soffit. Slight overkill, IMO, but good job. You're in Canada, so I'll let the other Kanucks advise you on the insulation you may need. Different from the Sunny South.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, why do you think overkill? I’ve read that I have to put supports every 2 feet? And the insulation will only be for sound proofing since I already have that pink insulation on my walls. I need to level everything out now with the soffits

·
Naildriver
17,766 Posts
I was speaking of the width of the soffit. No worries, just a lot of space eat up with air. I make mine closer to the ductwork, but you're fine, and a good job as well.

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,480 Posts
Where I live you would have to use some kind of furring on the ceilings to get the needed nailing required. 16" on ceilings and 24" on walls. you might use 1bys or hat channel on the ceiling.
Not knowing what your trying to achieve impossible to recommend on the insulation or rock wool.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What you can’t see in the picture is duct work to the left of the soffit. Instead of cutting in and narrowing the soffit down I just went the same width all the way down. I usually keep it 1.5 inches away from the duct work.

I would like to know if it’s possible to double insulate the walls or just insulate the ceiling for sound proofing? Any moisture problems putting insulation on both sides of the vapor barrier?

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Presumably, you already have enough insulation on the walls to avoid condensation on the vapor barrier, so I don't see how more insulation on top would hurt. And rockwool would be pretty vapor permeable anyways, so it could still dry to the inside. So I don't see a problem with the added layer, but I am no expert.
By the way, the Safe-N-Sound is the same stuff as their thermal insulation, just 25% more dense.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Resilient channel on the ceiling would be a huge soundproofing feature along with the rockwool. I think RC gives about 20 STC. If you want soundproofing do resilient channel installed correctly. RC adds fire resistance also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya I’ve been watching videos on that lately.

does anyone here think it’s a good idea to double insulate my walls just to give myself better r value? Seems like I can fit more insulation on my walls. It’ll pay itself off I’m sure.

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
In all likelihood, you have "minimum code" on those walls, for when the house was built.
In other words, just enough insulation to not make it illegal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts