DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had some double hung vinyl replacement windows installed in my cellar. The windows are installed so that they slide sideways rather than up and down.

I noticed that when the window is locked, I'm still able to slide the entire window about 3/16" inch in either direction. It seems like the window is still sealed properly when I slide it but I can't really tell for sure. I have a relative who had the same windows replaced and installed and there is barely any movement at all when they're locked...maybe 1/8" if anything.

To me, it seems like my frames are too big. Checked the frame size on my relative's windows and sure enough, hers are 3/16" narrower and the windows are the same size as mine. We have houses that are just about identical. All built the same in the neighborhood.

Is this typical? Is it possible that my windows be adjusted, or would the entire frame need to be replaced? I'll check with my installer but I wanted to first get some feedback from others so I have some better knowledge.

Thanks.

·
Naildriver
14,792 Posts
Sorry for my negative comment, but what dunderhead did this? Double hung windows aren't made to be efficient laying on their side. Are you sure they aren't sliders? Can you post pictures of these windows so we can see the installation?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, yes they are sliders. He still might be a dunderhead, though but possibly his supplier has poor tolerances. I can post a photo but there's really nothing unusual to see. As I mentioned, imagine the window locked and you try to slide it back and forth, which it does for 3/16". There are no visible gaps, but obviously there's a space between the window and left/right of the frame.

·
Naildriver
14,792 Posts
I am understanding the 3/16" looseness. You say it doesn't let any light or air past. It could be a moot point aside from you knowing it exists.

Thanks for the pictures. More questions. I am looking at trees, obviously on the outside of the basement. I am also looking at the EXTERIOR of the window on the INSIDE of the basement, SO my next question is, how many windows are installed in the opening? If more than one set, maybe you could swap panes for a tighter fit.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,667 Posts
This is a non issue. Every double slider I have ever seen has had a little left right play when locked up. It is probably for temperature related expansion and contraction. A worse condition would be if the frame contracted, and the sashes would not push apart enough to swivel the lock in place.

If you had a single slider, one sash would be fixed and the other locked into place via the lock.

FYI, there is also play up and down. Of course gravity holds the sashes down, but if you lift up on them, you should be able to push it far enough to remove it.

·
retired framer
53,571 Posts
Sliders are made small enough to be removed and for protection from people just lifting them out they put little spacers in the upper track . Those spacers can slide if you push them, they should be over the vent when it is in the closed position, making the window feel tighter in that position. So look for those, if you have them, are they in the right place. The real test is can you remove the vent when it is only open a little. It should only be removable when it is near full open.

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. More questions. I am looking at trees, obviously on the outside of the basement. I am also looking at the EXTERIOR of the window on the INSIDE of the basement
Um, are you sure? Looks to me like the interior of the window, since the locking mechanism and sliding handles are accessible from the (in)side we can see. Frame even looks to be the correct (in)side—no weep holes.

·
Naildriver
14,792 Posts
Looks to me like the interior of the window
It very well could be the interior of the window and you bring up a good point on the weep holes. I"ve just never seen j channel frames turned to the inside. The panels could be tuned over easily enough. Just curious question for the OP>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.