DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be better in plumbing section but this is just as much a framing question I guess. I want to put a higher pitch on my roof and put a shed dormer in. Only thing is one vent from a first floor bath is going to run right up the middle of where the dormer would be. Wondering if I can run the vent pipe horizontally for about 8-10 feet then up through an interior wall. Looking for ideas. The floorplan upstairs would have bad flow if I had to do a wall to accomodate a straight run

Attachments

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts
As long as it slope up in that horizontal run, should not have a problem between the floor joists.

Looks like a fun job.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,501 Posts
Just some points to think about in your planning, you will need at least 2x10 floor joists to replace/build over your probably existing 2x6 ceiling joists, a middle bearing wall, and from what I remember a bumpout at the back to deal with.

Also a stair is minimum 9x6 U shape or 3x12 linear to fit in somewhere downstairs, if you don't have one to a basement to stack on. The vent routing is a very minor issue. Most ranches it is better money-wise to add to the footprint than build up.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great memory about the bump out, actually this portion wouldnt include the bump out (thats further to the right rear of the picture). I figured I would likely use space joists or TJI's so I could do some lateral runs. The stairs have been a concern, right now I have about a 10 foot run of my basement stairs (basement depth is only 7 feet) so I had considered a landing at the bottom to get the run I needed, This is going to be a sticking point though. My lot has a very limited back yard so my only real option is to go up at this point

Just some points to think about in your planning, you will need at least 2x10 floor joists to replace/build over your probably existing 2x6 ceiling joists, a middle bearing wall, and from what I remember a bumpout at the back to deal with.

Also a stair is minimum 9x6 U shape or 3x12 linear to fit in somewhere downstairs, if you don't have one to a basement to stack on. The vent routing is a very minor issue. Most ranches it is better money-wise to add to the footprint than build up.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Neal, This house has kept me very busy, with the exception of the bump out question I posted months ago I've completed everything I've sought advise on I'm happy to say

As long as it slope up in that horizontal run, should not have a problem between the floor joists.

Looks like a fun job.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
An offset is ok if it slopes down toward the drain.

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts

The U shape stairs are 76" wide for a 2x4 wall between them. :wink2:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was more so going to go with an L shape stair run with 1 step, a landing then a run. My main problem is a chimney behind the wall that (as you can see from the first pic) would have to be extended up above the new roofline. My other option would be to do direct vent for my boiler (if this is possible) and remove the existing chimney

The U shape stairs are 76" wide for a 2x4 wall between them. :wink2:

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts
I was more so going to go with an L shape stair run with 1 step, a landing then a run. My main problem is a chimney behind the wall that (as you can see from the first pic) would have to be extended up above the new roofline. My other option would be to do direct vent for my boiler (if this is possible) and remove the existing chimney
If that is the only use for the chimney, I would remove it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its used for boiler and HW heater (thats old anyways). I'm thinking I will need to resize the boiler for upstairs anyways. Bad thing about direct vent is drilling through 14 inches of stone, I did it for a 2 inch pipe before and it wasnt very easy

If that is the only use for the chimney, I would remove it.

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts
Its used for boiler and HW heater (thats old anyways). I'm thinking I will need to resize the boiler for upstairs anyways. Bad thing about direct vent is drilling through 14 inches of stone, I did it for a 2 inch pipe before and it wasnt very easy

The cost of doing business. :biggrin2: I wonder if that can go that far up thru the roof.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts