DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish to install a doorbell transformer in the crawlspace. Are they required to be installed in a junction box? If so:

a) how. It seems ocquard (spelling) to screw it to the inside of a box) and all boxes seem too small

b) if in a box how to you run the doorbell wire out of the box, what cover plate do you use, or do you use a solid plate and run the wires out of a knock out?

Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No instructions with transformer. Lack of instructions seem to becoming more and more common with a number of purchases. I suppose this particular question is not covered as it is more of an electrical question and the "trades" people know how to do it.

The doorbell instructions say ... LOCATE the transform in a crawlspace, bla bla, ... attic not recommended......

Thanks for the tip! I think I can figure it out from here.

I am not looking at the transformer at the moment, but I think the 120 V wires come out one side and the low voltage wires out the oppsite side. The mounting screw holes are on the side between the two. So I suppose I will screw the transformer on a floor joist, with 120 V wires facing a junction box, run the 120 volts through the side of the junction box. Done!

·
Super Moderator
20,917 Posts
The 120 volt connections need to be inside a box. The low voltage(12 or 24) connections can be outside.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, like posted I will screw the transformer to a joist next to a box and run the lines from the transformer into the junction box. Makes sense now that I got the tip on this board. thanks all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are awesome, and particularly hkstroud. Great pic. When I saw the pic, I thought "oh, my transformer is not that fancy". But when I looked at it, sure enough it had the nut. How silly of me.

Awesome! All set now.

Thanks all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts