DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking to replace a wired door chime in my home. A majority of the wired door chimes I have found are 16V and use something like 6VA. I see that a lot of wired doorbell transformers are 16V 10VA. The wired doorbell transformer in my home is 16V 20VA.

Does this mean it will burn out a standard wired door chime that runs on 16V? I get a little confused by this. Or, just because 20VA is available, it doesn't mean the transformer will send that to the wired door chime..it will only send the 20VA if the wired door chime asks for it?

I know that might be a silly question. Thanks in advance for your help!

Jason

·
Very Stable Genius
4,309 Posts
Hello,

I am looking to replace a wired door chime in my home. A majority of the wired door chimes I have found are 16V and use something like 6VA. I see that a lot of wired doorbell transformers are 16V 10VA. The wired doorbell transformer in my home is 16V 20VA.

Does this mean it will burn out a standard wired door chime that runs on 16V? I get a little confused by this. Or, just because 20VA is available, it doesn't mean the transformer will send that to the wired door chime..it will only send the 20VA if the wired door chime asks for it?

I know that might be a silly question. Thanks in advance for your help!

Jason

Means 20VA is available.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Hello,

Does this mean it will burn out a standard wired door chime that runs on 16V? I get a little confused by this. Or, just because 20VA is available, it doesn't mean the transformer will send that to the wired door chime..it will only send the 20VA if the wired door chime asks for it.
A wired doorbell transformer rated at 16 V 20 VA WILL provide 16 V and the maximum VA it can provide is 20 VA - which approximates 20 W.

The Voltage supplied by the transformer is just that - a supply Voltage of 16 V.

The VA rating is the maximum that the transformer concerned can SAFELY supply, without over heating.

Any such transformer will NOT force energy into any load beyond that which the "load" demands, within the capacity of the transformer to supply - no more than your Power Company will "force" the 200 Amps which may be "available" into your home if all that you require, at any particular time, is (say) 1 Ampere (or less) to run "standby" equipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts