DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a typical ding dong doorbell. The button is obviously at my front door, the chime is above my stairs and very unusual. It has 2 wires coming from the back that splits into a red and yellow wire. So there's 2 reds and 2 yellows. The bell has screw connectors that say, front, transformer, and rear. The installer installed one red to the front, another red to the transformer, and twisted the 2 yellows and wired to the rear. I want to rewire this and try to salvage the existing doorbell. Works fine but I want it to be wired right and not all amateury. Someone help me through this rewiring process?

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
If it works, don't touch it.

Reactions: NJMarine

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Does the plunger or clapper for the rear chime sound (the one that does not move when you press the (front) button vibrate or hum if you touch it with your fingers? (Try it both with someone pressing the front button and without.)

If you unhook the two yellow wires from the "rear" terminal but leave them twisted to each other, does the (front) doorbell still work?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think there's a rear doorbell. I never found one. I just taped off the yellow wire and kept it disconnected. I've also noticed that it dings but doesn't dong that well. Like it use to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts