DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A few mos. ago, I had this pressure treated door placed over the stairs that descend to my basement. Was told I ought to paint it as soon as I could. Was also told don't expect it to last very long, but it would give me some additional time to save for a Bilco style metal door. Still have to paint it, obviously. As you can see in the picture, I placed an umbrella holder at the bottom, where the wood is starting to buckle up. What, if anything, can I do to avoid having to rely on the weight?
As always, thanks for taking a look!

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
May be able to move the hinge down loser and add a 3rd hinge in the middle.
Add a metal angle iron or square tubing frame to help keep things straight.

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
When I've had to make one I never use pressure treated plywood.
I use subflooring grade plywood, I make a frame on the backside out of 2 X 4's to keep the plywood from buckling and screw it from the top side with ceramic coated decking screws, then I attach James Hardee panel glued with constrution adhesive to the outside face of the plywood.
Then I paint the Hardee panel with 2, coats of latex paint.
Once the paints dry I use 1 X 4 PVC trim at the top and 2, sides, nothing at the bottom so it does not trap water.
I also use far bigger butt hinges them you used and and always at least 3.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,534 Posts
check out Gordon basement entry doors. Maybe Bilco's only competitor. Quality is similar but price is favorable

1 - 5 of 5 Posts