DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Endless Projects
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a door that sets proud of its prehung jam. It is only proud at the top part on the handle side.

I am embarrassed to admit I hung this door two years ago but never cut off the shims or trimmed it out because of this. I was given some grief when my brother in law came to visit and saw this had never been finished. So after he left I went back to finish it up but realized i would never be happy if I did not solve the door issue first.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Likely what is going on is that your door is "cross-legged". Google "cross legged door". Usually the framing is the problem, and to fix it, the jamb is going to have to be proud of the wall to compensate, and that makes trimming it out cleanly a challenge. There's a number of tricks to fix it. Assuming it's the framing that is out of whack, you can sometimes bash the offending side over so they are both plumb, or at least equally out of plumb. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
That happens when one or both of the jambs are not plumb... or at least they are not in the same plane.

You can adjust this several ways. Either move the top corner of the jamb out (toward you) on the latch side, or move the bottom of the jamb in. (away from you) Or you can adjust the hinge side in the opposite direction. Pull the bottom of the hinge side jamb out, and push the top of the hinge side jamb in. Or do some combination of all 4.

When you close the door and the edge of the door is just starting to go behind the jamb, observe the gap of light between where the door and the jamb meet. You will reach a point where there will be no gap on bottom... but maybe 1/4" gap on top.

That tells you how much you need to move the jamb. If you make one adjustment, it will be 1/4". If you make 2 adjustments, they will be 1/8". If you slightly adjust all 4 corners of the jamb, it will be 1/16". So you can see why it would be best to adjust all 4 corners. Sometimes you can move a jamb just by smacking it with a block of 2x4 and a hammer. Then secure it with more fasteners once you have it where you want it.

It's also possible that the door itself is warped. If it is, you can still make it better with the instructions above, but you might also have to take off the latch side door stop while you adjust the door jambs. Then once it's plumb, put it back on once the door is closed.

·
Endless Projects
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I have been camping for 6 days while "guests" stayed at our house. It was a lot of work leading up to this moment as it gave my wife leverage to make the home in the way she wanted it, more like a model home then a work in progress it normally is.

Before I left though i looked at the door closer and discovered two things.
  1. I was analyzing the doors flushness when the door catch was removed. When the door catch installed he door in nearly square and flush.
  2. The door catch (the metal thing on the jamb that is part of the door closing system) is still forward a bit. If needed I can move the catch back to get a little more 'close' out of the door.

I am pretty sure properly shimmed and trimmed this door will look right. My brother in law returns possibly in August so I have to finish this project by then or face further ridicule.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.