DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I really would like to replace some of the flimsy particle board doors in my house with some nicer 5-panel pine doors. I thought that meant I had to buy interior pre-hung doors. And, I've heard scary stories of how hard installation is - I'd be a rookie at this but am otherwise generally pretty handy...

I did a yt search to see how the process goes, and I find this (below) where it is suggested that you really only have to attach a new door, not the whole hanging/casing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuV49bpZdck

Based on your experience, is this video making it look easier than it truly is?

·
Super Moderator
12,628 Posts
Of coarse he’s going to make it look easy, look at all things he’s trying sell you.

In general terms that was an ok basic overview. In the real world houses settle especially old ones, openings can be out of plumb and not square. Floors settle and take the header down with it, frames can be slightly twisted. All of these things can get a first timer frustrated pretty fast.

I’m certainly not trying to discourage you but the video shows a perfect world scenario. I noticed he didn’t round over the mortises to the shape of the hinge, that takes a little practice to get right and there’s defiantly a few more steps to cutting a door he left out.

You came to the right place though, the DIY Chatroom. There are plenty here that can help you through any problems that may have along the way.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
we did a full house door replacement once. the guy that had contracted the job had already had the old doors picked up by a company that was supplying the new doors. i guess they set the old door up and router the hinge recesses using the old door as a template. i will admit that the new doors fit pretty good. there might be a mill work place near you that does the same thing. most videos showing how to do something never have the stuff you run into that makes it a pain to install. if you want to try it buy a smaller closet door and practice on that or even take a 2x4 and use it like it was the edge of the door and cut the hinge recesses and see how it fits to the hinges. that will give you good feel for what you are in store for. but if the openings are out of square or the house has settled you might have to do some tweaking after you get the new door hung.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Folks, I really would like to replace some of the flimsy particle board doors in my house with some nicer 5-panel pine doors. I thought that meant I had to buy interior pre-hung doors. And, I've heard scary stories of how hard installation is - I'd be a rookie at this but am otherwise generally pretty handy...

I did a yt search to see how the process goes, and I find this (below) where it is suggested that you really only have to attach a new door, not the whole hanging/casing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuV49bpZdck

Based on your experience, is this video making it look easier than it truly is?
Hanging doors so they work properly and look good requires patience and a thorough understanding of the process. If you're keeping the frame, it eliminates a number of hurdles you must jump over.
Post a picture of a typical door in the house. If the reveals are equal around the door, you just eliminated another hurdle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts