DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Door locks

208 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Matt1963
Brown Handle Dead bolt Door Wood

Door Dead bolt Wood Handle Door handle

Dead bolt Door Wood Handle Fixture

I have a few questions.

Do locksmith’s sell just one half of the lock that is keyed?

If I buy one half of the lock, can I re-key the lock myself (to fit the existing key on the front of the door)?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Naildriver
23,302 Posts
Kwikset makes deadbolts and locksets that you can rekey without taking it to a locksmith.

· Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are great.

Using the 'smart key' lock set is a good idea. I was not aware of this technology.

Neal says, I don't know if you can buy half of the lock. However...

I clicked on Chandler's link to Home Depot.

The Kwikset smart lock from Home Depot is just a lock with one lock set and a manual turn lever on the other side.

It appears that a key for Kwikset and Defiant (my current lock) have similar lock sets where the current house key should fit into both locks.

If I unscrew and remove the back of my Defiant lock (where the manual turn is located) and buy the new Kwikset lock with smart re-keying, will the Kwikset lock assemble properly into the current Defiant lock? That is, will the two halves fit together?

· Naildriver
23,302 Posts
I don't think the drive pins will match. You will have two screws opposing each other, rather than having a receiver for screws as you do on the flip latch. I can only advise against double lock deadbolts for safety reasons.

· Registered
2,749 Posts
Defiant is an imported private label brand of Home Depot. The locks are, or at least were, made in (surprise!) Taiwan. As best I remember, they were a knock-off of Kwikset.

Before jumping on the a Smartkey bandwagon, compare pricing between the regular Kwikset and the Smartkey. Ask yourself this question: What is the likelihood of me using the feature, compared to the difference in price?

The knob below the deadbolt appears to be an old (push inside knob in and turn to lock) Weiser privacy set. Not appropriate for an exterior door.

I see not indication of glass in or near the door and that makes me wonder why you want a double-cylinder deadbolt.

Personally, I would get a deadbolt (single or double-cylinder) and a knoblock keyed alike. The knoblock for basic security and the deadbolt for additional security, all with one key.

Just my musings.

· Naildriver
23,302 Posts
The reason I suggested the Kwikset Smartkey is he wants to have it match another door's lock. IMO, taking the existing lockset to a locksmith will probably be more expensive than the Smartkey unit, not sure.

· Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You mentioned, "I see no indication of glass in or near the door and that makes me wonder why you want a double-cylinder deadbolt."

I'm going to create a 'safe room' for that bedroom.

Yes, I expect to use the smart key technology, but might only use it once.

It would be nice if I could just buy half a keyed lock (smart key) and have it fit into the existing Defiant lock.

· Registered
2,749 Posts
I'm going to create a 'safe room' for that bedroom.
OK, but since a safe room is generally intended to keep those inside the room safe, I'm not seeing how a double-cylinder enhances the security.

It would be nice if I could just buy half a keyed lock (smart key) and have it fit into the existing Defiant lock.
It would be nice if I won the Power Ball lottery too, but I think our odds of success are about the same (but we can dream :)). Defiant has one thing going for it: low price. It is considered a throw-away item and I would be surprised if even the bolt is available. In addition, if you could find an inside cylinder and the connecting screws, the tailpiece used on the outside cylinder of a double-cylinder is different from the one used on a single-cylinder.

· Naildriver
23,302 Posts
If you are going for security, I'd upgrade to Schlage, but it won't match the front door key configuration. Likewise, having a keyed deadbolt on the inside of a safe room where the electricity has been cut and people are in the dark, they won't be able to find the key, nor will they find the lock hole easily. Flip lock on the inside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts