DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious: do you guys typically caulk the seam between the door Jamb and the door trim, if I'm painting the trim white?

·
Usually Confused
6,534 Posts
It is usual to set the trim back a bit ('reveal') but, regardless, I don't normally caulk if it makes a nice tight match. I also run a line of caulk up the wall side of the trim, top of baseboard and any mitre or other joint that isn't tight (which, with my skills, is often). It's pennies takes little time and gives a nice tight appearance.

·
General Contractor
84 Posts
Our standard procedure is to caulk all seams and joints with painted trim regardless of fit. Even if they aren't open at the time of installation, wood always moves. Caulk is flexible, and will move with it, keeping a nice tight seam.

We never caulk on stained trim, but always on painted trim.

Follow me on Instagram @amanteafinewoodworks

·
Registered
37,177 Posts
Only need a tiny bead to fill any gaps, looks like poop to have it all over the trim and sheetrock.
It will also help to seal up any small air leaks coming from behind the trim.

·
journeyman carpenter
3,480 Posts
Our standard procedure is to caulk all seams and joints with painted trim regardless of fit. Even if they aren't open at the time of installation, wood always moves. Caulk is flexible, and will move with it, keeping a nice tight seam.

We never caulk on stained trim, but always on painted trim.

Follow me on Instagram @aman teafinewoodworks
exactly,, you can have a air tight joint at the time of install but the paint will crack no matter what.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So go nuts with the caulk then!

You guys have one your recommend? Or any paintable caulk? I've been using some acrylic one, but I wasn't sure if there's a better option

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
While I defer to Kirk, Joe, and others here, I am partial to Quad. But whatever you choose in this case puts you ahead of the majority.

·
Super Moderator
6,810 Posts
Alex from DAP is readily available everywhere. As a painter, I've used it for many years and still use it a good bit, but, I must say, its' quality has slipped a bit and you can get a "runny" tube every now and then and it does shrink more than it used to. Give Maxflex from SW a try. It's much more flexible and is perfect for these type of situations.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
If you want to maintain the sharp profile differences, you shouldn't use that much caulk, so no caulk for me unless it is unavoidable gap between the trim and the wall. Too thin caulk will tear open in jagged line that will be worse than thin straight paint line. The seamless look you want was always a bit unnatural for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts