DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm installing a door under the staircase it followed the lines of the stairs. When we installed the door it binds at the top of the door where the hinge is Door install 001.jpg how can I solve this problem. Do I take the top board off to allow the door to swing freely.

·
jschaben
588 Posts
I'm installing a door under the staircase it followed the lines of the stairs. When we installed the door it binds at the top of the door where the hinge is View attachment 40881 how can I solve this problem. Do I take the top board off to allow the door to swing freely.
Binding on the hinge side is kinda unusual, at least for me. Doesn't look like the hinge was installed right. Usually they are down on the door 6-8" and the door hung with 1/8" gap at the top. If it's binding on one side and not the other, that says the frame isn't square either. My fix would be to rehang the door. :)

·
Too Old
345 Posts
I don't see how it would even open with the hinge location all the way at the top on an angled door. I would think that is not a custom made door but a standard door that was hacked up to fit the hole. If you don't want to relocate the hinge then see where it is rubbing and take some off the wood.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
You should have an 1/8" space all around the frame. You should also have at least 1/16" between the door and the stop moldings.
Adjust as needed.
I'd also drop the hinge down.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I don't understand how the door can open at all. Assuming it is 1.5" or so wide, when you would try and open it the top right corner would bind against the "top" of the door frame. There's not enough space for it to rotate out. That's not an issue when the top of the door is flat. You're going to need a enough space between the top of the door and the top of the frame so that it can clear. Doesn't matter where the hinge is, that's not the problem.

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
Hang the door on it's hinges in the open position. Push it as far toward closed as possible. Make a line on the heel end of the door where it comes against the jamb. The line will be at an angle to the faces of the door. Saw the interfering material off at that angle leaving the face of the door intact. It will be noticable from the inside, but you can use a heavier piece of stop to hide it, if it's a problem.

·
old guy contractor
872 Posts
I agree w/Maintenece

You need to bevel the top edge of the door to allow for clearance
.....and move the hinge down.......

·
Registered
701 Posts
Wow I had not noticed that, about the hinge. The flange of it screwed to the door is going to also interfere with opening, aside from it looking bizarre. So yeah, do what Maintenance said :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts