DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DIY greenhouse doors aren't cutting it. I'm thinking of installing swinging french doors but need to understand the framing requirements for such a heavy double door. Currently there's just one 2x4 verticle stud on either end of the opening. They are secured to a 4x6 at the base and to a crossmember at the top. Each has a horizontal support near the middle as shown below. The doors would probable be propped open 45 degrees (not 90) during the summer to allow a breeze through. How should existing framing be beefed up to support such heavy doors.

·
retired framer
61,799 Posts
You might just add another 2x4 around it.
Property Fixture Rectangle Wood Azure

But you might be concerned about the weight of the doors pulling on the end hoop.
Cloud Sky Street light Flag Line

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure how bypass doors worked without a full track, anyway.
The existing doors aren't meant to bypass. They just hand on their own trackand each slides away from the other. I just used treated lumber, so only one didn't warp hideously. Sliders also limit air flow from the adjacent window area, so swing doors are being considered.

·
retired framer
61,799 Posts
Thanks. The 2x4s are notched so they don't pull on crossbar and are not supported by crossbar.
Twisting of the 2x4 is my main concern as they don't really tie into a top support.
I think the frame is not strong enough to support doors leaning out. You would probably want posts set in concrete like a fence gate posts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts