DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Naildriver
16,993 Posts
The door has what appears to be an oak veneer. It looks to be hollow core (probably is with only 2 hinges) . Have you considered patching the hole and attempting to stain it to match.

Reactions: 4rpr

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The door has what appears to be an oak veneer. It looks to be hollow core (probably is with only 2 hinges) . Have you considered patching the hole and attempting to stain it to match.
I can try, but I have never did that before so I would like to ask for some assistance on how I could attempt to fix this myself.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Naildriver
16,993 Posts
The hole was caused by a hinge stop. One way to repair it is to get a piece of oak veneer or luan, cut a piece that matches the hole in the door. Shoot some minimally expanding foam in the hole to give you a backer once it expands and cures. Then you can hot glue the circle in the hole and stain it to match. It's not going to be perfect, but it will go away.

Reactions: 4rpr

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hole was caused by a hinge stop. One way to repair it is to get a piece of oak veneer or luan, cut a piece that matches the hole in the door. Shoot some minimally expanding foam in the hole to give you a backer once it expands and cures. Then you can hot glue the circle in the hole and stain it to match. It's not going to be perfect, but it will go away.
Ugh, I'd rather just get a new door in that case. I'd want it to be as less noticeable as possible.

·
retired painter
13,144 Posts
You can make a patch that will pretty much disappear when it paints but it's difficult to get a stained/poly patch to not stand out. With paint you don't have to worry about the grain matching.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can make a patch that will pretty much disappear when it paints but it's difficult to get a stained/poly patch to not stand out. With paint you don't have to worry about the grain matching.
True, but I have other similar style doors nearby that it has to match.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I figured that, which is why replacement is best. It's fairly easy to match the stain.
I'm looking at nearby big box stores and it shows that most don't come stained. Plus I somehow have to try and match the stain exactly when I eye it down at the store

This could get pricey if I have to buy an entire door and then again it to match which is my main concern.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
It is an oak veneer hollow core flush door.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You're not going to find matched grain like that at a box store. That looks like vintage 50's--don't make them like that anymore. You can get a door manufacturer too make one similar, but you're looking around $4-600

·
retired painter
13,144 Posts
That looks like it might be luan. I don't know if a big box stocks hollow core oak doors but they might be able to order them. A store the specializes in woodwork [trim/doors] would be a better bet.

It's rare to find a door that is prefinished. You'll need a light stain [maybe between natural and honey oak] and 2-3 coats of poly/varnish - sanding between coats of poly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
That looks like it might be luan. I don't know if a big box stocks hollow core oak doors but they might be able to order them. A store the specializes in woodwork [trim/doors] would be a better bet.

It's rare to find a door that is prefinished. You'll need a light stain [maybe between natural and honey oak] and 2-3 coats of poly/varnish - sanding between coats of poly.
Why does this one look like it has some kind of trim around it? Also, I'm not 100% sure if I have golden oak vs wheat oak? Is it worth a try to use Great Stuff foam to try and fix and patch as some YouTube videos suggest?

https://www.menards.com/main/doors-...erior-door-system/4113577/p-1566887238273.htm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.