DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. So we just bought a new house and the people that lived there let their dog **** and piss in the house in a lot of room.
We have ripped out all the sheet rock and nothing but studs left.
The rooms have hardwood floors and some peel and stick tiles.
The stench is very bad.
A couple of guys said the hardwood floors should be good once sanded down.
But upstairs there are peel and stick(see pic) which we are scrapping up. zthe black stuff won't come up once we take the tile up.
Under that is the plywood floor. We are not sure if the dog piss has gotten into it and don't want to put new hardwood floors down on top of plywood that might be filled with piss. We don't think it penetrated the tiles but not sure.
Any advice on how we could determine or any other feedback?

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
26,707 Posts
I bet they had rugs. A neighbor moved out, recently & the owner rolled up all the wall to wall carpet & put it outside. It had those same white areas, as if the dogs had their areas.

People get old & sick & don't bother to let their dogs out.

I know that doesn't answer your question. :smile:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bet they had rugs. A neighbor moved out, recently & the owner rolled up all the wall to wall carpet & put it outside. It had those same white areas, as if the dogs had their areas.

People get old & sick & don't bother to let their dogs out.

I know that doesn't answer your question.
no rugs at all just hardwood floors and the peel and stick upstairs

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
I've never had to deal with a problem like that but I'm married to a wife with a nose like a blood hound, looks a lot better but can still sniff out things others can't. Plus we have had threads talking about cigarette smell those people evidently have a similar sensitivity.

My point is, there will still be people who will smell that mess unless you remove it. Just my opinion, but better to remove it before all the effort to cover it up.

Bud

·
Registered
459 Posts
Try reading this:
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2283459/help-i-can-t-get-pet-odor-out-of-my-new-house
The methods I would try are bleach for concrete surfaces, and hydrogen peroxide for wood surfaces. Spray these on in massive quantities. Use a garden sprayer, and then brush them in thoroughly with a broom.
Hydrogen peroxide is available in 2.5 and 5 gallon pails at your local well supply company. People use it in water purification systems to neutralize sulfur.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.