DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a moisture meter after my entire roof sheathing was wet, insulation wet, drywall wet. I thought it was over. Yesterday I took down a picture that had a paper museum quality backing on it and had moisture marks, although dry. So I took out my Klein moisture meter. Great! The walls looked ok but then I ran it toward the edge of the wall. “OL” overload! I tried it on every setting. Same thing. I’m afraid to ask. Does that mean maybe the 2x4 is wet behind the drywall? Am I doing something wrong? I have pulled sheetrock from almost every room. Thanks everyone!

·
retired framer
53,710 Posts
Yes. 🥲 I have 5 sheets of 5/8” sitting in the same room. This what happens when a roof has no shingles and the roofers didn’t cover the roof correctly.
I would cut a hole and check the back of the drywall, if it is wet right thru , well you know.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,946 Posts
Cripes - I'm sure the last thing you need is more exercise right now. Sounds like you're doing what's right rather than trying to short change the future. Wish I could give you a hand - I'm in Florida and old and slow(ing) but I do enjoy helping folks.

Reactions: Nealtw

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cripes - I'm sure the last thing you need is more exercise right now. Sounds like you're doing what's right rather than trying to short change the future. Wish I could give you a hand - I'm in Florida and old and slow(ing) but I do enjoy helping folks.
Thank you. I’m old ish too. Good thing my father taught me a few things. He had rentals so we did a lot of repairs. I’d rather work on one room at a time not a houseful like this disaster is. Good thing I found Jeff’s channel. I’m learning a lot about drywall!

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,946 Posts
Thank you. I’m old ish too. Good thing my father taught me a few things. He had rentals so we did a lot of repairs. I’d rather work on one room at a time not a houseful like this disaster is. Good thing I found Jeff’s channel. I’m learning a lot about drywall!
My 37 year old daughter still does her own brake jobs and changes oil and filters on her cars - everyone can do anything!

The big trick with drywall; If you think you need more joint compound start putting on less!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 37 year old daughter still does her own brake jobs and changes oil and filters on her cars - everyone can do anything!

The big trick with drywall; If you think you need more joint compound start putting on less!
That is awesome about your daughter. My father taught me how to change oil and routine stuff. I inherited a lot of his tools. He could fix anything., I bought a home and have done all the work on it thanks to YouTube. But a roof was too much. I can ski off a mountain but not climb a ladder off a roof. Now I’m wishing I had tackled the roof. It’s just a rambler. I’ll remember about the joint compound. Looking into a roof certifier so I know it’s done right. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts