DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Does the state you live in sell HVAC equipment directly to the homeowner?

449 Views 23 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Markkkkk
I live in Texas and they do not sell directly to the homeowner. You must purchase from an HVAC contractor.

What state do you live in and can you buy AC Condensers and Furnace equipment?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
17,645 Posts
The suppliers themselves won't sell direct, not just a question of rules.

You can buy the stuff yourself online, though equipment selection is more limited. No premium brands.
Goodman and icp (tempstar, comfortmaker, etc) are the easiest to come by online - mostly low end stuff.

You would still need an epa license to buy your own refrigerant.

I'm in ontario canada and the rules are extremely strict, more so than in most states. Though for some reason homeowners can buy their own gas fired water heaters at big box stores.

Reactions: Msradell

· Registered
176 Posts
anyone can buy anything online. "even high end stuff" like fujitsu or mitsubishi mini splits. it does take quite a bit of research though. I googled for a while and found
Surplus City Liquidators
in Indianapolis, IN. I'll be getting some mini splits from there.

I've also bought from ingrams Wholesale Heating & Air Conditioning • Ingrams Water & Air (iwae.com)
I made one mistake and had to return a furnace and that cost me a good $200+
All they did was get a local hvac place to ship the unit to me.

what are you trying to do? if you are skilled, you can install one yourself and save at least 50%

· Registered
17,645 Posts
The suppliers themselves won't sell direct, not just a question of rules.

You can buy the stuff yourself online, though equipment selection is more limited. No premium brands.
Goodman and icp (tempstar, comfortmaker, etc) are the easiest to come by online - mostly low end stuff.

You would still need an epa license to buy your own refrigerant.

I'm in ontario canada and the rules are extremely strict, more so than in most states. Though for some reason homeowners can buy their own gas fired water heaters at big box stores.
Just to add to my post above/quoted, mini-splits are a different animal.
For traditional ducted stuff, you can not get the dealer-only brands like lennox, daikin, carrier, trane etc online.

Some of the lower end brands are direct clones or stipped down versions of the same stuff.

Lennox elite/signature and trane, you definitely can not buy yourself online and it is not the same equipment, no direct clones available to public.

· Hvac Pro
24,667 Posts
Alpinehomeair seems to be the biggest online source in the US and mostly sells Goodman. They have their own Blueridge line which is some Lennox and Goodman rebranded.

In Canada you need to be a licensed gas fitter to take out a gas permit and install any furnace or water heater or gas appliance. You can buy a water heater at HDepot install it and if you want to pay a gas fitter to take out a permit and tag it some people do that. Especially if you have a gas fitter friend.

No AC units are sold in Canada unless you have a refrigerant tech license form the Ozone depleting watchdogs. In MB is is called MOPIA /MB ozone protection industry association and they work with the Provincial Govt. Other provinces have something similar. That includes mini splits.

· Registered
Building my last home
5,506 Posts
I bought an American Standard from Ingram's 3 years ago, 3 ton, gas 2stage heat 95%, VFD air handler. Delivered to my door. AS is the construction grade Trane. Just does not look as nice.

· Registered
176 Posts
Just to add to my post above/quoted, mini-splits are a different animal.
For traditional ducted stuff, you can not get the dealer-only brands like lennox, daikin, carrier, trane etc online.

Some of the lower end brands are direct clones or stipped down versions of the same stuff.

Lennox elite/signature and trane, you definitely can not buy yourself online and it is not the same equipment, no direct clones available to public.
yes you can you just have to buy on the surplus market
Surplus City Liquidators
sells most of those brands

Maybe it's different in your country.

· Registered
17,645 Posts

· Registered
176 Posts
Ha! Most of those are scratch and dent or worse - good luck with support or if defective beyond reported damage.

This one is missing doors and a draft inducer: 40,000/26,000 BTU 2-STAGE MULTI-POSITION VARIABLE SPEED ECM NATURAL GAS FURNACE, 96% 120/60/1 1000 CFM | Surplus City Liquidators

You won't find the normal diy suppliers like alpine air and hvac-direct selling the dealer only stuff.
I've spent hours on that site, almost all of the gear is 100% new, not scratch and dent. and definitely none of them are "worse"

· Registered
1,725 Posts
I live in Texas and they do not sell directly to the homeowner. You must purchase from an HVAC contractor.

What state do you live in and can you buy AC Condensers and Furnace equipment?
I can't imagine any STATE selling HVAC equipment, directly to the consumer. Can you tell us where you are coming from?
Has a contractor or supplier refused to sell you AC Condensers and Furnace equipment and blame the STATE?

· Registered
176 Posts
I can't imagine any STATE selling HVAC equipment, directly to the consumer. Can you tell us where you are coming from?
Has a contractor or supplier refused to sell you AC Condensers and Furnace equipment and blame the STATE?
it's a figure of speech, dont' take it so literally. He just can't find an hvac dealer that will sell to him in texas

· Red Seal Electrician
1,507 Posts
Here (BC, Canada) it's the suppliers themselves that impose restrictions - not the government. Company policy type garbage. I've been stiffed many times asking for parts that have nothing to do with gas or refrigerant. (Electric hot water tank, electric strip heaters, circuit boards, etc.)

I find the parts elsewhere (or online) instead.

· Registered
9,016 Posts
I ordered my furnace, and later my central A/C components from Ingram's. After 10 years for the furnace and 6 years for the A/C, I've had no problems with either. Oh btw, the A/C condenser was a scratch&dent; saved me about $400.

I replaced my furnace, concentric vent, etc. for under $1400, including replacing the control board, due to an error I made in wiring it (the black wire hanging out of the control box is not for the 120V power).

I added the A/C for about $1600, including electrical, concrete for the pad, and the final hookup, testing, checking levels, etc. by a local pro, which was $255.

· Registered
378 Posts
yes you can you just have to buy on the surplus market
Surplus City Liquidators
sells most of those brands

Maybe it's different in your country.
This surplus city liquidator is 40 min away from my house. I bought couple times units there and some handyman’s buying furnaces and ac there. Anybody can buy from them . The problem is that they don’t give any warranty and no this matches. Most stuff new but scratch and dent. All new stuff is usually 3-5 years old. I saw brand new furnace 7 years old. Lots
If equipment high end but discontinued. Pretty much if you need new equipment with warranty then surplus city can’t give you. Not worth it. Not buying there anymore. Supply house can sell almost for same price and warranty is 10 years. Better to buy from alpine or Amazon or ingrams . There is bunch online companies but they all handle warranty different ways and local suppliers don’t want to handle warranty on online equivalent so I don’t buy online either

· Registered
17,645 Posts
Sounds like it is a small step above buying from some random guy on facebook marketplace or kijiji.

· Registered
176 Posts
This surplus city liquidator is 40 min away from my house. I bought couple times units there and some handyman’s buying furnaces and ac there. Anybody can buy from them . The problem is that they don’t give any warranty and no this matches. Most stuff new but scratch and dent. All new stuff is usually 3-5 years old. I saw brand new furnace 7 years old. Lots
If equipment high end but discontinued. Pretty much if you need new equipment with warranty then surplus city can’t give you. Not worth it. Not buying there anymore. Supply house can sell almost for same price and warranty is 10 years. Better to buy from alpine or Amazon or ingrams . There is bunch online companies but they all handle warranty different ways and local suppliers don’t want to handle warranty on online equivalent so I don’t buy online either
I called mitsubishi and gave them the serial number of the unit I'm buying and they said it had a 5/7year warranty and it was made in 2021. They are much less expensive than alpine/amazon/ingrams

· Registered
8,855 Posts
I called mitsubishi and gave them the serial number of the unit I'm buying and they said it had a 5/7year warranty and it was made in 2021. They are much less expensive than alpine/amazon/ingrams
Just keep in mind it’s mandatory to match the indoor and outdoor units. Even though they may both be Mitsubishi products, they aren’t necessarily compatible. They could not run right or just not run at all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts