DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having my garage re-sided and I'm planning on using Hardie. But I need it to match the main house, and the built-in color offerings are blah. We prefer a much brighter yellow than the manila folder looking color.

So:
1. Previously on Cedar I used oil primer + latex outer (always Ben Moore)
2. Is the paint expected to last longer?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paint should hold up longer on hardie board than it does on real wood.
Thanks! What kind of primer would you suggest (oil/water based)? With wood they always seemed to suggest oil primer because it "bit" better into the wood, but with Hardie.....

·
Premium Member
7,993 Posts
Hardie usually comes pre-primed but if you’re seeking a better quality primer, a multi surface primer would suffice. Or Zinsser 123. Latex is fine for hardie. I painted hardie on the garage of my old house. It’s been 11 years, some fading but no peeling! I pass by it every so often.

Reactions: mark sr

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about the breathability of the house?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
House doesn't need to "breath". And if your siding is the vapor control layer, you have some other issues going on. What is the construction of the wall and where is the home located?
Am I using the wrong term? Water vapor is a gas, and breathing has to do with the transfer of gasses. That's the breathing I'm talking about. I'm concerned about the vapor permeability from the inside outwards.

Wall is from inside to out: skim coat plaster blueboard, 3.5" fiberglass, combinations of 1/2" OSB, CDX, and Zip system board (depending upon repair location), Tyvek if not Zipboard, cedar siding 4" exposure, primer/paint a few times.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And the location of the home? Area of the country?

The OSB and CDX are not going to be any more of a vapor retarder than the Hardie is.
It's in New England.

Ok. So long as the water vapor can "push through" the walls/siding out of the house, then we're good to go.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No more or no less is going to push through than is going through the sheathing.

Seal all the interior gaps and cracks as that slows down water movement exponentially more.
............................wait, we might be talking past each other.

I want water to not move from outside to in.
I however do want water vapor to move from inside to out.

Correct?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts