DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Contractor/Engineer
599 Posts
Agree. Tell today's teenager to pull the nails and the response you would probably get is "What's a nail".
I disagree - I think the response you would get from today's youth would be laced with profanity including a recommendation to have relations with yourself.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
They finished. I will pull the nails.

I had to point out some things they missed - like all of the bat insulation on one of the kitchen walls - how does one miss such a thing. I got up on a ladder and wiped the blown in insulation off of the top of the walls and the bottom chord of the rafters. And I pulled it from between the studs, where the studs meet the floor.

I blame myself for not being more specific when I hired them.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Problem isn’t so much the kids it’s the parents I recon.
With that I also agree. But then I sometimes wonder if my impression of the younger generation is correct.

I blame myself for not being more specific when I hired them.
I can't think of anything I have ever done, especially when dealing with people, that I couldn't have done better.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
With that I also agree. But then I sometimes wonder if my impression of the younger generation is correct.

I can't think of anything I have ever done, especially when dealing with people, that I couldn't have done better.
Agreed.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I recently demo'd a 20x60 apartment. Hired guys to do the demo. Made the same mistake of not specifying I wanted a "clean demo" - no nails, no screws.

Went around with a framing hammer and cordless screw gun on my belt and pulled them out pretty quick.

Next time I'll know to be more specific.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I recently demo'd a 20x60 apartment. Hired guys to do the demo. Made the same mistake of not specifying I wanted a "clean demo" - no nails, no screws.

Went around with a framing hammer and cordless screw gun on my belt and pulled them out pretty quick.

Next time I'll know to be more specific.
It's nice to know that I'm not alone in my travails.

I won't even ask what you paid, as I am certain that I paid way too much for the work.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,226 Posts
Russ: Home Advisor. com, and Angie's List, both advertise that it is free to ask on their website, the cost in your area that you should be paying for any remodel project.

So maybe you can ask there and settle your mind on that.

I too am amazed at the current prices for stuff in my area, because I remember doing similar for a lot less, in earlier years.

ED

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I also remember picking cotton for 3 cents a pound. That is $3 a hundred. Do you know how much cotton it takes to weight a hundred pounds or how long it takes to pick a hundred pounds of cotton?

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I also remember picking cotton for 3 cents a pound. That is $3 a hundred. Do you know how much cotton it takes to weight a hundred pounds or how long it takes to pick a hundred pounds of cotton?
hkstroud, you are dating yourself. Mind if I ask the year(s) of which you speak? I can only imagine the work involved in picking 100 lbs of cotton. My father (1925 - 2004) and family were sharecroppers in 'bama. He often spoke of the grueling nature of picking cotton. I sometimes feel guilty for having had such an easy life compared to my parents.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
hkstroud, you are dating yourself.
Yes. I was old when dirt was invented.

We were farmers in SC. We went to work in the fields at 7 and 8 years old. We traded farms in 1950 when I was 9. I remember picking cotton several years before that. The last time I remember was in about 1953 or 54. If you were to take a bed sheet and pile as much cotton on it as you could and still tie the four corners together, that would weight about a hundred pounds. I was not very fast. It would take about 10 to 12 hours for me. Usually I could only pick about 80 pounds in a day.

I too appreciate the life I have had as compared to my parents.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I just turned 60. I have been an avid DIY'er for most of my life. my father gave me the bug. We had a cabin in Northern MN and to take care of it we had to do a lot of work on ourselves. Timewarp to now.

My wife and I bought a home that was a true fixer-upper. The walls smelled of smoke. the carpet and floors smelled of dog and cat urine and feces. Some of the cabinets needed to be repaired or repaired. The only thing going for the house, and the only reason we bought it, was that it had radiant underfloor heat.

Also, we bought it a year after I had a traumatic brain injury after I fell at work. I still suffer from memory loss, stability issues. strength. and a few other things.

But, I am still doing my own work. Electrical, plumbing, framing, demo, tile work, flooring, etc.. However, it goes a lot slower than it used to. And, I plan it out a lot more. I will be installing new windows, moving doors, and installing a new heating system for the radiant floor heat.

About the only thing I won't do, because I think it is more of an art, is mudding. And drywall. And I hope to keep doing it as long as Harold has.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts