DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

Hoping someone can help me with this... I've got 1/2" flexible steel conduit, and 1/2" "set screw connectors" to attach the conduit to metal electrical boxes... My problem is that they simply don't fit..... not even close, the conduit is way too big for the connectors. The conduit fits into 3/4" set screw connectors, but those don't fit into the boxes :vs_mad: are all the metal boxes home depot sells only capable of supporting 1/2" connectors with 1/4" conduit?? that would seem to make them suitable for not much more than lamp cord and I don't even think 1/4" conduit is a thing, and even if it is, my wire will never fit into it.

Is one expected to have some sort of boring machine to make the holes in the boxes bigger? or shave a ton of metal off the conduit to make it fit? are these connectors for a different purpose, like pipe conduit? are there specialty connectors for flexible conduit? Or is it all a big conspiracy perpetrated by the lizard people to drive us all mad making 9,000 trips to the hardware store for every electrical project (I'm currently working under this assumption).

I realize that this information is out there somewhere, I posted it here because there isn't really a way to ask this question to google and get anything even remotely related (none that I've found anyway).

·
Super Moderator
8,873 Posts
3/4" conduit requires a 3/4" knock out in the box.
Home depot sell boxes with 3/4" knock outs.
Why don't you use 1/2" conduit?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
What 1/2 set screw connectors ?

The odds are, you are trying to use EMT connectors on FMC.

If you are shopping at a big box, most of the fmc connectors will be either a squeeze type or a screw in type.

If you find set screw connectors for FMC, the set screw is angled, not at 90 degrees like the EMT connectors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas, turns out it was definitely the wrong thing, but I did find the right ones, you just screw them into the conduit, worked great...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts