DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased this rental property. I think the previous owner installed a door where a window used to be. It was a 6 ft window. He just cut the blocks lower down the building and installed a door. The windows all have a concrete sill. Is there supposed to be some type of sill (other than the metal sill that comes with the door)?

· Administrator
14,365 Posts
Not only should there be a sill that sill should be sitting in a door pan.

The door pan is a flashing that catches any water that may get under the sill and will make sure that any water drains to the outside.

EDIT: No, the sill nor the floor below the sill needs to be concrete.

· Registered
37,499 Posts
And no way in a million years should that deck have been built level with the inside floor!
That's 100% sure way to end up with water under the threshold and inside the walls.
Bet they also used a ledger instead of building it free standing, messed up the flashing of the ledger. decking sitting tight to the siding, if they messed up that building 101 rule.
Measure the height of the door, see if it's 6'8".
Makes me wonder if someone removed the threshold and cut the door shorter to get it to fit.
The block never should have been left exposted like that, now the termites have a ladder to get inside the home.
There's no bottom plate.

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And no way in a million years should that deck have been built level with the inside floor!
That's 100% sure way to end up with water under the threshold and inside the walls.
Bet they also used a ledger instead of building it free standing, messed up the flashing of the ledger. decking sitting tight to the siding, if they messed up that building 101 rule.
Measure the height of the door, see if it's 6'8".
Makes me wonder if someone removed the threshold and cut the door shorter to get it to fit.
The block never should have been left exposted like that, now the termites have a ladder to get inside the home.
There's no bottom plate.
I'm removing the deck. It was poorly built.

What is the fix for the door threshold?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.