DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently moved in and when trying to hook up the washer, found the spigot/valve thing coming out of the wall leaks/sprays water when turned on.

This is the hot water valve (I think ... hard to tell since they aren't marked and I'd have to let the water run long enough to fill buckets before one would cool off due to poorly insulated pipes and hot sun).

Anyway...we need to do laundry. Except for whites, everything is cold wash...can I just run the washing machine with the cold water connected and the hot water hose not connected or do both hoses have to be pressurized with water for some internal functioning of the machine to work properly?

Machine is a Samsung HE front-loader, two years old.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
We've always used ONLY cold water, so yes, you can.

Of course, you need to cap off the hot water inlet hole...... it could get a bit messy otherwise. :laughing:

DM

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've always used ONLY cold water, so yes, you can.

Of course, you need to cap off the hot water inlet hole...... it could get a bit messy otherwise. :laughing:

DM
I like doing laundry while standing in a pool of soapy suds ... it adds an element of danger to an otherwise mind-numbing task, like I'm the James Bond of the Rinse Cycle.

Thanks for the info and tip. :)

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
I like doing laundry while standing in a pool of soapy suds ... it adds an element of danger to an otherwise mind-numbing task, like I'm the James Bond of the Rinse Cycle.
You're funny.... you fit right in here! :laughing:

DM

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
My DH's Grandmother (rest in peace) ONLY ever used cold water. The only drawback is that cold water doesn't help much with allergens (unless you bleach - everything).

If you are allergy free.... Go for it!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a new washing machine and the installer said it would void my warranty if I didn't have a hot water hookup.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts

Thanks for the info and tip. :)
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Building my last home
1,184 Posts
Just bought a new washing machine and the installer said it would void my warranty if I didn't have a hot water hookup.
SHOW ME the paper work. BS is my guess. Why would the mfg care? As long as your using the cold cycles the machine is not even demanding hot water.

I wash my sheets and whites in cold all of the time. Add a 1/4 cup of good ole chlorine. and everyone is happy.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
You can connect only cold and set the washer to cold wash and rinse. Don’t set the washer to any setting that is warm, or it will open both the hot and cold valves possibly letting cold come out of the hot connection.

Reactions: MichRiggs

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,418 Posts
It you only hook up cold water put a hose cap on the hot inlet.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
I answer old posts when they come back to life because although the original poster probably moved on, others might still be interested. Or ignore it, whatever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts