DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a house in California that's almost 100 years old. I don't know if the floors have ever been redone (my husband & I have only owned the house for five years) but they weren't sealed when we moved in. I would really love to seal them (so that they'll be easier to clean and last longer) but there are a few rough patches on the floors (not deep, surface only). Can I just do a light sand in those spots & seal it? Do I need to do the whole thing? Please help! Also, cheaper to rent or buy equipment? :wink:

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,775 Posts
I have a house in California that's almost 100 years old. I don't know if the floors have ever been redone (my husband & I have only owned the house for five years) but they weren't sealed when we moved in. I would really love to seal them (so that they'll be easier to clean and last longer) but there are a few rough patches on the floors (not deep, surface only). Can I just do a light sand in those spots & seal it? Do I need to do the whole thing? Please help! Also, cheaper to rent or buy equipment? :wink:
Ayuh,.... How many square feet are We talkin',..?

I'd rent, 'n do it All for a uniform effect,...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The house is 2060 sq ft, three of the rooms don't have wood floor, so maybe a little over 1600 sq ft?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Floors are a very tough DIY project. The correct equipment is far too pricey to buy for a few jobs let alone a single job. The rental equipment is inferior. A real floor sander is 8-10,000 and that may be a used price.

If you feel you must DIY, one of these guys http://www6.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/Square_Buff_Floor_Sander/07014A/index.html will do the lest damage in inexperienced hands and with practice will do a half decent job.

additional info: That is far more than can be done in one day. Two of us barely managed to do 750 square feet and that did not include the all the edging.

Reactions: powerup

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Floors are VERY easy....if you are careful. Rent the random oscillating sander from HD. Sand rough, vacuum thoroughly, sand again medium, and vacuum, sand with 150 grit and vacuum thoroughly...TWICE. Coat of finish, light sand, vacuum thoroughly...TWICE! Then tack cloth all, then second coat. Do a couple of times. Good to go. Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts