DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start taking apart one of my bathrooms for a little bit of updating. I have a feeling this might turn into a bigger project than I had anticipated, but I'm up for a challenge.

I found a few interesting things after pulling off the wood surround. On one wall (#1), there is a strange wooden panel. On the other wall, there appear to be some remnants of very old-school vinyl along with a cut-out for the original toilet-paper dispenser.

Based on the pictures below, do you think I'll need to tear down the walls and put up new ones, or is this something I can work with?
Before:

Before:

Behind Wall #1:

Wall #2:

Behind Wall #2:

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Drywall is easy to patch and finish. Scrape/steam off the old wallpaper, which will probably leave some dings. Then skim coat with thinned coat of drywall compound(I like the stuff in the blue bucket, sands easier), sand it smooth and you are ready for paint or paper. You could reuse the hole for the toilet paper holder, or make a patch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drywall is easy to patch and finish. Scrape/steam off the old wallpaper, which will probably leave some dings. Then skim coat with thinned coat of drywall compound(I like the stuff in the blue bucket, sands easier), sand it smooth and you are ready for paint or paper. You could reuse the hole for the toilet paper holder, or make a patch.

I think it's blue board with plaster. I'll see if I can get a better picture when I go back home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so it's definitely plaster. There's a fairly thick layer before getting to the outward-facing paper of the blue board.

Am I better off patching up all of these holes, or should I just tear it down and start over?

What about that strange wood panel on the other wall in my original post?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts