DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Do I need to re-grout?

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Bud Cline 
#1 ·
I had to re-install my toilet because I realized that it was not sealed properly. When I lifted it off the floor, the floor underneath was disgusting, so I've been scrubbing and bleaching it since yesterday. So now I notice that the tiles under where the toilet was have no grout. I assume that either the bleach or the corrosive sewage fumes have eaten it away, but it's possible that it was un-grouted before- I just don't know.

Do I need to re-grout the tiles under the toilet before re-installing the toilet? I ask because I have no grout at the moment, so I'll need to go get some if I need to re-do it (the tiles were done be a previous owner). Only the grout under the toilet is missing- all the grout around the edge of the toilet is still in place.

It's merely a matter of being done tonight or finishing tomorrow, but I want it done properly, because I don't want to go through this again. Please let me know what I should do. Thanks

#2 ·
Sounds like they grouted after reinstalling the toilet for some reason. Anyway, if you're sure there is no damage, grout it first. Is this on a slab or suspended subfloor?

Jaz

#5 ·
I guess my worry is does the grout serve any structural purposes
No it doesn't. I would like it grouted for sanitary reason. Even if it never leaks you can get a little condensation. No real harm if you don't grout it though.

What type of underlayment are the tiles bonded to?

Jaz

#6 ·
Plywood subfloor- I was told by our inspector when we moved in that tile really shouldn't have been installed on suspended subfloor, but since it was already in, I've left it. Seems ok, anyway.

If it would be better/more sanitary, to regrout, than that's what I'll do. I'm kicking myself now (2 1/2 years later) for using the wrong size wax ring, I really don't want to have to reinstall this same toilet a 3rd time, so I'll do it right and regrout. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it

#9 ·
Subfloor over crawlspace. Suspended- because it doesn't sit directly on the ground.
NONSENSE !!!

I was told by our inspector when we moved in that tile really shouldn't have been installed on suspended subfloor
MORE NONSENSE !!!!!

Where do you people find these guys?:)

Other than some minimal deflection requirements there is absolutely no reason what-so-ever that you can't put tile on that floor.:)

#10 ·
What the inspector is NONSENSE. Unless it's installed directly on plywood, which can be done but not recommended. Tile is installed over suspended subfloor all the time. I suspect there are more than on a slab, I'd bet on it.

Actually Bud that is one of the terms used when the substrate is not a slab either on or below grade. Could be wood structure or cementitious.

Jaz

#12 ·
Well- we've kind of gone a bit far from my original issue, but I think that you've convinced me that re-grouting the tile under the toilet is the way to go, if only to prevent having to deal with it again in a few more years.

Truthfully, it is possible that I misunderstood, or have mis-remembered what our inspector said when we were moving in. It was 3 years ago. Glad to hear, however, that tile over crawlspace isn't necessarily a problem, since I really had no plans to redo it. (And I like the tile)

I do appreciate everyone's help- don't know what I'd do w/o this chatroom. I just really wish I'd used the right size wax ring to begin with (I didn't realize that they came in different sizes when I installed the toilet originally).

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.