DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm residing my 1980 house. Tearing off the aluminum and putting up Hardi Plank.

You can see pictures here http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/new-hardi-siding-windows-what-have-i-started-aargh-48959/

My question is.... On the wall I'm about to tackle there is a concrete block chimney. You can see in the pic that the existing aluminum butts right against it. I hope to use a vertical trim board against the concrete but suspect I should use some type of flashing. Any advice?

Attachments

·
6,520 Posts
I doubt that flashing's in order. Refer to the Hardie installation guide to be sure though. My bet is that you leave a gap about 1/8" wide and caulk the seam. The aluminum you have now has that end detail to make the installation look clean.

·
I have gas!
2,339 Posts
From that picture, the siding seems to be in pretty good shape. Why are you residing?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From that picture, the siding seems to be in pretty good shape. Why are you residing?
that's a good question and one I've asked myself a few times over the past few weeks:wink:.

The house was built in 1980. Over the past two years we've gutted inside and the outside was untouched. Even though the existing aluminum is in fine shape, it was time to do the windows and modernize outside so here we are.

Seemed like a good idea at the time and I'm happy with the result so far but, man, is it a big job.

·
11,730 Posts
Generally, one would add trim (1x2 cedar) vertically, to both get a better caulked seal against the block and it looks finished. (As a border flowerbed at the yard fence, or base inside a house. A transition to the eye between two dis-similar textures. Be safe, G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts