DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,112 Posts
You can just scrape off about 1 inch or so of paint from the tip of the ground wire, Then when you wrap your device ground wire with a wire nut on it there will be better conductivity.

Paint on the other wires is fine. Just be sure that when you connect your device to the wires you have identified properly the hot and neutral wires since both are painted white.

· Remodel and New Build GC
11,671 Posts
I'm really not OCD.... (just ask my wife)....but another quirk..... on new construction that is going to be sprayed (texture/ paint)... I like to take 15 minutes and stuff open boxes with those flimsy light plastic grocery bags... they go in fast and come out fast and easy.

IDK... it will never be seen when closed up.... just seems nicer/easier to work in a clean box... (I think subconsciously inspectors like it also..... clean site= clean inspection)

· Registered
10,331 Posts
If the plastic bag will never be seen when closed up that means the bag was left there. All the while the paint stained bag is/was making the box look just as unclean as having no bag and the interior of the box paint stained!

I use a knife or other object to scrape paint off of wires. I have broken too many fingernails so I don't want to use my fingers.

All wires need to have clean metal showing shiny where connections are made. Sometimes tarnish needs to be scraped off.

· Remodel and New Build GC
11,671 Posts
If the plastic bag will never be seen when closed up that means the bag was left there. All the while the paint stained bag is/was making the box look just as unclean as having no bag and the interior of the box paint stained!

I use a knife or other object to scrape paint off of wires. I have broken too many fingernails so I don't want to use my fingers.

All wires need to have clean metal showing shiny where connections are made. Sometimes tarnish needs to be scraped off.
ALLANJ..... My imprecise writting..... NO...I quickly go around and pull the bag after spraying.

What I meant was inspite of the fact the interior of the box will never be seen when cover plated... I still like the box to be clean.

Rest of my post: " I like to take 15 minutes and stuff open boxes with those flimsy light plastic grocery bags... they go in fast and come out fast and easy.

IDK... it will never be seen when closed up.... just seems nicer/easier to work in a clean box.."

· Read Only
605 Posts
ALLANJ..... My imprecise writting..... NO...I quickly go around and pull the bag after spraying.

What I meant was inspite of the fact the interior of the box will never be seen when cover plated... I still like the box to be clean.

Rest of my post: " I like to take 15 minutes and stuff open boxes with those flimsy light plastic grocery bags... they go in fast and come out fast and easy.

IDK... it will never be seen when closed up.... just seems nicer/easier to work in a clean box.."
Ur writing was not imprecise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts