DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a heat pump on north end of house, and electrical panel is on south end. The easiest way to run the wire would be along the main beam of the house, which is metal I beam. North half of house is finished and south is open going through garage.

I know if it was wood, would need to tack it to beam. This would be NJ electrical code.

I would have no way to attach it on north side where finished, without a butt load of sheetrock work.

Are there any requirements for securing it? When I used to do network cabling, there were little squares I used, with adhesive backing, that you could connect wire ties to. Could that be used? Saw another site that suggested using armored cable. Would that obviate the need for attaching?

TIA

·
Super Moderator
14,792 Posts
Fished cables can be unsecured. If you have access to the cable it needs to be secured. I have wedged 2x blocking between the webs to provide a nailing surface. Metallic cable still needs to be secured.

Reactions: zatoichi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Would those little plastic adhesive squares with adhesive backing, that allow wire ties to attach to them be good enough.

The wood blocking you mention, do you cut close to width, then just hammer in place (wedged in there top to bottom). Last thing I want to do is drill an I beam.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
628 Posts
No, the plastic adhesive backed squares for zip-ties will not work. The will will move a little with the temperature change. You need a proper electrical fastener.

Use your best judgement on the placement of the hangers. Move them to a location where it is easiest to secure. Everything need to be secured properly.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,907 Posts
There are various types of beam clips that will work.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
These things, right here.

Notice the two holes on the bottom and back. Those are tapped 1/4-20.

You clamp this to the I-beam so those holes are facing in a direction useful to you.

You then use any of a huge variety of clips to attach your conduit or cable.

I might use this guy.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts