DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Do I need seal junction between old toilet flange and plastic extension ring?

6362 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  oh'mike
Hi,

Last year I remodeled my second bathroom. After I put new floor I found that toilet flange and floor tiles were on the same level. I went to Home Depot and per HD employee recommendation purchased and installed a small plastic toilet flange extension ring.

Currently, I am remodeling my master bathroom and ran into same problem. I went to HD and purchased an extension ring.
My question is:
Do I need somehow seal junction between old flange and plastic extension?

Thanks

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Retired Moderator
25,780 Posts
Yep----use silicone if the old flange is clean or plumbers putty if it is not---Packing the flange joint,before installing the toilet, with some wax from a spare ring will also work.---Mike---

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

Thanks a lot. The old flange is very dirty. I tried to clean it, but it did not work very well. So, I'll use plumbers putty. Or, I have couple of spare wax rings and I may use wax from one of them instead of plumbers putty as well.

Igor.

· Retired Moderator
25,780 Posts
Mikey---Be glad you aren't in the tile section--Bud Cline makes me wear a dunce cap and stand in front of the class if I misspeak!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.